Monday, November 4, 2019

I Should Pack

Instead I'm blogging and before that I cast on for a hat and before that I went to DS's for supper.  Meatloaf, mashed potatoes, roasted broccoli.  Yum.  I made homemade chocolate pudding for dessert, with Reddi Whip to squirt on top of course.  I used skim milk to make the pudding so it wasn't quite as rich as it might have been.  Sure was tasty. Sorry I didn't take pictures.

A Nuthatch made quick visits to the platform feeder this morning.  It moved so fast and left so quickly that there was no way I could have gotten a picture of it.  After the third empty frame I gave up.



After the chiro but before lunch I raked leaves onto a tarp and dragged them to the curb.  I know that I didn't do a very thorough job of it but I figure that the rest of the leaves can fend for themselves.  I'm renaming the remaining leaves "mulch."


Lunch with a bunch of the St. Agnes Class of 1965 was good.  Lots of football talk since Sunday's gave was evidently a huge disappointment.  Lots of Monday afternoon quarterbacking.  I was quiet since I don't watch and don't give a hoot.



Tried on my new flannel dress this evening.  I love it and can't wait to sew up the opposite one.  The fabric is heavier so it has more body, feels nice on.

04 November--Barbara Malcolm, Spies Don't Retire.

Through all the whispering and gossiping, sniping and backbiting that went on among the women, neither George nor Dimitri let it get in their way.  They kept meeting to share stories over coffee, making dates to go fishing or snorkeling, Dimitri introduced George to the joys of tramping through the kunuku (countryside) wearing hiking boots, a sturdy hat and carrying binoculars looking for birds that stopped on the island on their long migration to and from their winter grounds.  Sonia was slightly suspicious when George asked for a Caribbean bird identification guide and stronger binoculars as a gift for his sixty-third birthday that March.  “I understand that Dimitri Roskova is an enthusiastic birder, George.  He’s the president of the local chapter of the Audubon Society.  You’re not spending too much time with him, are you?  I’m sure there are many things he’d like to weasel out of you and pass on to his masters, even after all these years.”
“No, dear, I’m not,” he lied.  “There’s not so much for us retired old duffers to do on this island.  That American chap, Mike Angerer, is a big birder.  He and I and a few other men have decided to see if we can’t put together a new edition of that old bird guide they sell on the island.  It was published in 1993 and is hopelessly out of date.”
“Well, just steer clear of Roskova.”
“Yes, dear.”


Oh man, I'm tired tonight and I don't feel like I did too much.  Oh wait, I hauled all those wet, rained on leaves to the curb one tarp-ful at a time. That's plenty tiring. Nighty-night.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

I love pockets on anything so your new dress makes the grade. Looks very cozy. I'd have been right at home with your former classmates. Lots to analyze and complain about Sunday night's game. Even Aaron, the miracle worker, couldn't bring them back this time. Too painful to watch.
Like many of your backyard birds, it's time for you to head South. So pack those bags and get on the road. Good times ahead.