Saturday, September 9, 2017

I Don't Think We'll Get a Harvest Out of It

We've been watching a single corn plant growing under the dried corn we put out for the squirrels. I'm thinking one of the furry little demons or maybe a chipmunk buried one of the kernels, then the summer's rain and sunshine helped it grow.  I noticed the other day that it had tasseled out and had two small ears with lots of pretty pink silk poufing out the top.  I have no confidence that the ears will mature but really like watching it grow.




The other day I picked up the O2 carrier from the shoe repair guy and managed to squeeze it over the free arm of my sewing machine to attach the handle pieces so the new carrier is all ready.  It has D rings on it if Durwood decides to attach a shoulder strap.  I've got a softer model cut out that will get sewn up when I'm not scrambling to sew the rest of the things I want to take to The Clearing next weekend.  (More on that later.)




On Thursday I took an old ice cream pail out to the garden and picked and picked and picked tomatoes.  (I have to agree with Durwood, tomato slices on toast make an excellent breakfast.)  We're getting more tomatoes this year than we've had in years, certainly many many more than last year's dismal output from the patio pots.  I foresee more straw bale gardening in my future, not an increased crop but I'll do four bales again next year and next year each tomato plant will have its own bale.  They're too crowded this year, plus the peppers, carrots, and lettuce haven't produced up to snuff.  I think I'm doomed never to have bell pepper growing success, and I had such high hopes this spring.  We've picked one measly pepper.


Only one of the sunflower seeds I planted in April managed not to get eaten by rabbits or chipmunks and grow tall enough to make a flower bud.  I'm hoping it blooms before the first frost or some marauding rodent gnaws it off.  There's a house around the corner with a cluster of gorgeous yellow sunflowers all abloom right now.  I wonder if they planted seeds or plants.  If there's ever anyone out when I walk by I'll ask.  I think I'll try sunflowers again next year.  One of these days I'm bound to get lucky. 





I can tell that summer is drawing to a close because the sedum up on the retaining wall is blooming.  I forget how pretty the flowers are and how much the bees like them, although I wish they were any color other than pink.

 


Most of the time the Downy Woodpeckers swoop in for a snack on the suet that's closest to the house but this little one discovered the orange flavored suet pellets in the feeder by the back fence.  He had a high old time pecking and nibbling. 




September 9--Jean Fouquet, St. Michael Slaying the Dragon.  "The dragon has seven heads," Marina said in a low voice.  "I see that," said Dana. "Do you think that's one for each Deadly Sin?"  Marina turned to her friend.  "What a lovely thought." She smiled. "Look at the damned souls down in Hell.  Not a great spot to spend eternity."  "I imagine old Saint Michael looking over his shoulder at the row of angels behind him.  I can hear him say, 'a little help here' and all he gets is a flutter of wings and some giggling."  Both of them laughed, then shushed each other.  The illuminated manuscript pages they were looking at were in an ancient manor house only open to tourists every other Thursday and it had all the charm and warmth of a cloistered convent.  Not rooms accustomed to laughter, they thought.

Okey-dokey.  Now that I have frittered away most of today I think I'll go downstairs and whip up some fragrance-free lotion to take to The Clearing and maybe cut out another Dress No. 1 and an experimental knit shirt I've been mulling over.  Later, dudes and dudettes.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

That CO carrier is one of the most impressive things you've made. Your sewing skills know no bounds. Thanks for calling last night. I'll try to keep in touch. Anxious now for the storm to pass. It seems like it's been coming forever!