Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Progress

I meant to blog yesterday, I really did, but I kept getting waylaid by people and circumstances.  Then when I realized that I hadn't blogged it was after 11 p.m. so it didn't seem worthwhile.  I went to bed instead.

But I did accomplish the 2 to-dos I assigned myself yesterday.  I did all the laundry, washed and dried it anyway, I'll carry it up later for Durwood to fold but it's all clean so I consider the job done.  There are no photos of that mundane chore.


One of the waylays was I sat on the couch to eat my lunch after the cleaner left, then picked up the birthday cloth to add the last three rows.  Once it was done I thought it looked incomplete so I added an edging of single crochet in the contrast color.  I finished that last night.  Now I just have to get it into a mailer and send it off.



DS asked if I could make him a bigger dresser/travel tray as the one he has is full up with his phone and wallet.  I said sure.  I spent a half-hour scouring the basement looking for my binder of sewing patterns.  Do you think I could find it?  No, I could not, so I trudged upstairs to the computer downloaded it from my Craftsy account, printed it off, and discovered that I already had saved it to the hard drive.  But of course coming upstairs put me in conversation proximity with the cleaner who I like talking to so that pushed my productivity level down a bit.  But I did get the tray done by suppertime.  See?  It doesn't look like much from the top because you put solid color fabric on the inside so small items don't get lost in a busy print (earrings maybe?); the outside is an awning stripe, nice and bright.  I used a Sharpie to draw my pattern onto a piece of that pattern fabric and grabbed the permanent marker by mistake when marking the fold lines so there are black lines inside but they don't affect the usefulness of the tray.


Then I finally sewed up the seersucker Pants No. 1 from 100 Acts of Sewing.  I didn't have enough fabric to cut the legs full-length but I did have some scraps long enough to put "cuffs" on the bottoms of the legs.  They aren't perfect, not by a long shot, but I like them, in fact I'm wearing them right now.

July 19--Ancient Egyptian, Third Intermediate Period, 22nd Dynasty, One of a Pair of Bracelets found on Sheshenq II's body with representation of the Wedjat Eye upon a Basket.  Lene looked down after the last sweet pf her brush to see a black and white eye staring up at her.  A tremor ran through her.  When Dr. Morton had given her this section of grid to excavate she was sure there was no chance she'd find anything.  After rebuffing his rather clumsy advances the night before, she wasn't surprised when he called out, "Lene, you've got J7 and G5 today."  Both sections were in the blazing sun more of the day but there was no way she'd give him the satisfaction of whining about it.  She took an extra bottle of water and snagged one of the white canvas shades to make her day bearable.  Now, within an hour of starting, she had uncovered a cuff bracelet.  Morton was going to be furious.

It's time to take Durwood to his chiro appointment and then come home to do battle with the traverse rod for over the patio door.  Toodles.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Clever girl to find a way to make those cuffs on your seersucker pants. Cute and very
summer-y! Glad you still have your cleaning lady. So nice to have someone come in and do some of those chores that you retired from a while ago.