Saturday, July 15, 2017

A Model City

Yesterday morning the stove fixit guy came and replaced the broken circuit board with the new one so the burner we use most works again.  He gave me the broken board.  I think it looks like a futuristic city, don't you?  I might be keeping it, just because I like the way it looks.  (yet another thing for my heirs to dispose of after my demise...)



When I stepped out the patio door to fill the birdbath and plug in the fountain I found this jumbo beetle on the threshold.  I don't know what kind it is but I do know that it isn't a June bug.  When I leaned down to examine it, it raised its antennae and front legs in a threatening manner.  I kept my distance just in case it had a bigger brother hiding in the wings like the Three Billy Goats Gruff.



The garden looks good today.  These are the Early Girl tomatoes, the first bunch of them that appeared.  I check them every day to see if there's a hint of color changing but so far no luck.

These are the Celebrity tomatoes.  I like the subdued habit of the plant and will plant it again next year but probably in a different spot so it's not so overshadowed by the WI 55.  This year is an experiment so all info is valuable info.  One of these days I want to go back through the book on straw bale gardening to see if there's something I'm supposed to be doing and aren't or if there's tips for next year that I missed.



Here's Butternut Squash blossom #2.  #3 is on the back side of the fence and the vines are starting to really spread out.  They've got those grabby tendrils so they're pretty easy to divert to where I want them, as long as I catch them before they latch on somewhere.  We're looking forward to squash soup next fall.  Yum.



The daisies and bee balm are looking glorious and the purple coneflower is starting to bloom.  It's not as flashy as the other two but is just as popular with the bees.  We haven't had many birds visiting and have only seen one oriole and one hummingbird at the feeders in the last few weeks but I'm not worried.  So many things are blooming that I'm confident they'll be back as summer wanes and their food sources dwindle.  We're keeping the nectar feeders and the orange/grape jelly feeder supplied just in case some are visiting when we're not looking.



The geraniums looked especially bright and happy this morning so I thought I'd share them with you.



July 15--Henri Rousseau, The Luxembourg Gardens, Monument to Chopin.  "Fer a Polish feller he sure could play the pie-anner."  Julia's breath caught in her throat at the comment.  Her sides were quivering with silent laughter and her breath puffed out of her nostrils in silent snorts.  She had been admiring the Chopin memorial when the tour straggled up behind her.  "Yeah, I liked that music they played on the bus ride over," said a different female voice.  A man said, "'Bout put me to sleep.  Think there's any beer in this garden?"  Quite often Julia wanted to apologize for her fellow American's but despite feeling that she'd wandered onto the set of "Hee Haw goes to Paris" she thought she might find out where else this tour was going and tag along.  These unsophisticated people made her homesick all of  a sudden.


Today is the last day to enter things into the County Fair.  The items don't have to be taken in for judging until August 15 so I could feasibly knit another washcloth to go with this one and then I'd have 10 entries.  You have to have a set of two to enter washcloths or hot pads.  Hmm, tempting...

Sorry for all the pictures today.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Never too many pictures. I always give each one a close-up after I've finished reading all your news. And yes, that thing from the stove definitely looks like a city. I'd be tempted to keep it too -- just because!