Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Whew, That Was Close

I got all the way into the car and ready to drive off before I remembered that I'd put together lunches for the week the other day (the last of the curried chickpeas, the last grilled weenie, lime jello with pineapple in it, and chocolate fudge pudding with a bit of Jif Super-chunky stirred in) and they were in the fridge instead of my knitting basket.  So I dashed in through the garage and got the goods--and still made it to work on time.  Whew.  (Did you know that when DD moved to Kentucky she lived just up the road from the Jif plant?  It smelled great in her neighborhood.)

I finally (finally finally finally) managed to sit under the "cone of silence" long enough to get the second side of the Autumn Cumulus sock knitted so that I could join the sides and start knitting the ribbing in the round.  There's a whole lot less thinking and concentration needed for "knit one through the back loop, purl 1" around and around, than for the back and forth short rows with purling through the back loop, purl 2 through the back loop (that's a real trick to do without singeing the yarn with swear words), and wrapping and turning.  There's all that thinking and counting and if you screw up one time your ribbing gets off and you have to start all over again.  *sigh*  I know if my brain was younger it'd focus easier and I'd be able to do tricky things without snapping at Durwood for daring to talk to me.  It isn't perfect but I managed to fudge the one side where I ended up with a couple too many stitches leftover at the end so that the ribbing goes around evenly.  Now I just have to knit about 15 more rounds before figuring out a stretchy bind-off and then I'm done.  I know I've said this before, and we all know I tend to knit only one sock anyway, but there's no way I'm knitting another sock like this.  No. Way.  (now watch, I'll have a mild stroke or hit my head and end up making another one or even be like that Bill Murray movie and only knit that sock for the rest of my life--gah!)  Last night I finished Sudoku Strip #4 so on Friday night I'll assemble the middle panel of the afghan and then cast on Strip #5.  Woohoo!

Just so you know, the swim shirt fits LC perfectly.  Now I want to make her some bottoms to match.  It has to be warm with a full swimsuit underneath.  I need to go look at patterns on Friday.

I learned a valuable lesson yesterday.  I bought the stuff to make a blueberry pie the other day and made it yesterday afternoon.  It looked luscious.  The recipe is for making little individual tarts in a six-pack of graham cracker crusts but I bought a big one (Aldi doesn't have the little ones) so I upped the filling quantities but neglected to bake the pie longer so when I cut it after supper the blueberries were still separate.  They hadn't burst and joined together with the cornstarch and sugar to make filling.  I ate a piece anyway, it was good, real good, but I thought maybe I should bake it a little more so it was more pie-like.  So I did and it is.  (I'll be having a slice after supper tonight to make doubly sure.)  There will be a notation made on the recipe, yes, there will.

July 13--Brian Hill, Canoe C-1 Slalom.  Bram and Carina had put in a few miles from their campsite and arranged to be picked up at a resort in the next county.  It wasn't as far as it sounded, maybe fifteen miles, certainly do-able by weekend paddlers.  Bram...  I don't have a clue where I'm going with this.  I'm tired and I quit.
No, really, that's what I wrote in my prompt notebook last night.  It isn't often when a photo stumps me but that one did.  Let's hope I have better luck tonight.

Hey, today is my baby girl's 35th birthday.  Happy birthday, sweet DD!  I wish I could be there to bring you homemade mac & cheese (made with Grandpa's recipe) and a Baskin-Robbins ice cream cake.  I'd let you pick all the cherries off the top and eat them too.  I love you.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

That sock is daunting. Thank goodness you're only making one. Hot, hot, hot down here. And to think we're moving to an even hotter clime. Oh well, we aren't moving today!