Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Holy Moly, It's Hot & Humid Out There

I left at 7 o'clock, dropped off a tank at Van's (I should start charging Mrs. Boss mileage), went to get my walking partner, Porter, and it was still so hot and still on the trail that even she got tired and thirsty.  Usually she'll only drink water that I pour into the plastic cup I keep in the backseat cup holder for her but today she deigned to drink out of my palm as I poured water into it (ewww, dog lips) at our turnaround spot, which was about 3/4 of the way to the overpass.  It was just too hot so we turned around, she hog-tied herself in her leash running like a crazy dog in the park on the way back to the car as usual, and she didn't demur when I opened the car door for her.  She knows that means time for a drink.  She's doing a great job of staying at heel and an okay job of sitting when I stop, she still needs that command and upward tug on the leash and a helping hand to make sure she's alongside me instead of perpendicular, but we're getting there.  DS & DIL1 visited her brother and SIL in Minneapolis last weekend and they had a spare window a/c that they sent home with the kids so they slept in the cool-ish last night and put Porter's crate up there and left the a/c on low for the day.  It's just too hot for her to be confined in the crate in the sun room all day with no water.  I'm glad; I was thinking of bringing her home with me after our walk just so she didn't get overheated and stroke out.

Weight Watchers sends a weekly email with pep talks and tips and recipes, and yesterday's batch had a couple winners--Lobster Rolls and Ice Cream Sandwiches.  We can't afford lobster but we have scallops in the freezer so we're having Scallop Rolls for supper.  Yay!  After my chiro visit later I'll be stopping at Wally World for the fat-free ice cream and chocolate chip cookies to make the sandwiches, along with a few other less important things like veggies and fruit.  Although I do feel a craving for more fruit.  I stopped at Aldi which is usually my reliable source for fruit on sale but they had nothing.  NOTHING.  I'm hoping Walmart's got pineapple and blueberries.  Ooh, blueberries.  Look how many ripe ones I picked today.  Moving the bushes was totally the right thing to do.

I'm hoping that today's chiro visit is the last for a while.  Even though Home Depot will reimburse us for our out-of-pocket expenses, it's expensive and it's out of my way and it's expensive.  I realized this morning that I didn't wake up with a sore shoulder and it didn't hurt when I turned over to shut off the alarm.  This is progress.  And I've been trying to lift tanks only with my left arm, I'm not always succeeding but at least I'm trying.

July 16--Georges de la Tour, The Fortune Teller.  For a few coins she'll look at your palm, trace the lines, and tell you your past.  For a few dollars she lays out the cards, tells you about your relationships, who you love, who loves you, your future.  You see how suspicious he is.  Her very age and garb draw him and repel him at the same time.  He's given her a coin.  She holds it as if it is an insult while her eyes, sunk in the wrinkles earned in a hard life, pin him in her gaze.  Distracted, he doesn't feel her daughter's fingers tease a jewel from his pocket.  Misdirection, confusion.  Superior breeding is no defense against being a victim.  She'll tell his fortune and he'll be fortunate to escape with his pants.

I volunteered to print out ballot postcards and envelope inserts for the knitting guild so that's something I can do that'll keep me in the cool all day.  Good plan,eh?  Time to get typing and printing.  Toodles.
--Barbara

No comments: