Saturday, May 4, 2013

It's Saturday and Adventure's Brewing

This afternoon Skully and I are going off on our inaugural Rustic Roads adventure.  We were looking for a free or cheap adventure and she came across Wisconsin's system of Rustic Roads.  According to the website, they're "an effort to preserve Wisconsin's scenic lightly traveled country roads for the leisurely enjoyment of bikers, hikers, and motorists." There are 24 of them in the Northeast quarter of the state, 111 overall.  Should be fun to see how the land's waking up in this year's reluctant spring.  And, I don't want to say it too loudly but it even looks as if the sun may shine.  Shhh.


I knuckled down yesterday afternoon and got the sewing for DIL1 done.  As I suspected it was mostly hand sewing (one of these days I'll learn to use the blind hemmer on my machine) but as long as I have good light I'm not bad at it, not as good as Mom was but adequate.

Durwood's off to breakfast with his Census 2000 pals.  He missed it most of the winter because it was just too cold for him to breathe outside so he's ready to go off for the morning.  I have to confess that I am too; it's my only chance to be alone in the house for any length of time.  It's funny how I miss that even though he's not climbing into my pocket when we're here together but it's different being here alone.  I plan to rope him into going along with me to see a couple more Rustic Roads, maybe tomorrow maybe next week, since they're what I plan to write about during my week at The Clearing.  (Judy, the workshop teacher, demands that we have a specific project in mind, no airy-fairy waiting for what the muse brings. Oh, and there're spots just reopened in the workshop if you're interested.)  Hmm, I just had a thought; if we go tomorrow we can have a burger at Joe Rouer's.  What a good idea.  Durwood thinks so too.  Yay!  He's pretty easy to lead astray.  That's one of the things I like about him.
~~~~~

May 4--Henri-Edmond Delacroix, Boats Near Venice.  Jilly could smell the water long before she could see it.  She loved driving along through the country smelling the crops and the hot, dry dust but then suddenly there would be a coolness in the air like a thread of moisture, refreshing in the summer heat.  She smiled knowing that over next rise, or myabe the one after that, the sea would lay before her like a jeweled robe with the sun sparkling on the waves.  Gulls would scream and wheel overhead and under it all would be the faintest hint of fish.
~~~~~

Today looks to be the day that I put the snowblower away and get the lawnmower out.  And I'll put fresh sheets and towels out too.  Whew, I've got a lot on my plate.  Not.  I'm off to find something weekend-y for breakfast.  Toodle-oo.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

What a great idea to travel the rustic roads! I have fond memories of that week-long girls' trip I took through your beautiful state six years ago with Meris, Beth and Carol. Remember our lunch at Packer Stadium? You recited that poem - "The Highwayman" and I cried!!