Sunday, July 1, 2012

Sewing Strips

As if I don't have enough projects in the works already, I downloaded a quilting book, Create Your Own Free-Form Quilts by Rayna Gillman, to my Kindle last week.  Remember that I ordered those 3 bags of quilting cotton scraps last winter?  I've used a few of the wider ones in the quilt blocks I've been making but I didn't know what I'd do with the rest.  Now I know. 


I spent a bit of Friday afternoon and a lot of yesterday sewing strips together into strip sets.  Putting my own spin on the directions in the book (when have you ever known me to follow directions to the letter?), I didn't cut curvy edges, I just sewed the strips.  They weren't straight, those edges, so I got the random wonkiness she talks about.  I do think I made my sets wider than she did, but I've got a nice sharp rotary cutter (or 6, I have all of Mom's too) to fix that if I'm in a mood to.  


 I also dumped out and ironed the pound of really narrow strips.  There are A LOT of strips in a pound.



I'm going to put the sets and the ironed narrowest strips aside until I know more about how to make a quilt and then I'll be slashing, inserting, turning, reslashing, and generally making a mess with these strips and sets. 

I will not be buying fabric.  Cross my heart.

No comments: