Saturday, May 21, 2011

Mowed the Last Third

Now the grass is ALL mowed. Hooray! While I was finishing up Durwood cleaned and refilled the hummingbird feeders and we hung them back out. Next I'm off to get my nails done and do a little shopping before we all go to Shawano, Mom too, for DIL1's grandma's memorial. I bought a wildflower field guide yesterday that can double as a doorstop. It's for all of North America since I thought I might see a flower or two in August when we're out West but, man, is it heavy. I did find some of the flowers I took pictures of yesterday and I'll be looking more up but there are pages and pages of gorgeous pictures. I love field guides. When I'm grown up I want to have one of each just so I can sit in my dotage and page through remembering all the things I've seen. Durwood seems to be back to normal, no more scary phone calls. Next I need to get some annuals to plant and get the fountain up and running. Our renter babysits her granddaughter, Boo Boo, who's about 3 years old. She's going to love playing in it.

May 20--Indonesia, Women's Ceremonial Skirt. Nusa sat outside the women's hut in a shaft of morning sunlight sewing shells and beads onto the skirt she would wear to the upcoming ceremony. She had spent days sorting the shells to get enough that were perfect. Auntie Jella said that the spirits would not be pleased if the skirt wasn't perfect. Displeased gods could really mess up a person's life. Nusa's older sister, Nessa, had not worked on her sewing until the last minute and she ended up marrying that cross-eyed Lar who could barely fish and couldn't hit the ground with his spear. Oh, he was good at making babies on Nessa but he could barely feed them.

I don't know, it just came. It was late, after 11 even, and I was tired.
--Barbara

No comments: