Friday, April 8, 2011

It Feels Like Spring Out There--

Sorta. It gets warm-ish in the shank of the day but there's still a film of frost on my windshield in the early morning. Ah well, at least it isn't snowing a pile. I spent way too many hours getting my eyes checked and new glasses yesterday. Why does it take so long? I swear I was the only patient in the doctor's office and yet I waited 10 minutes once I was in the exam chair. Then I waited a half hour or more to pick out and pay for my glasses, and 45 minutes to pick them up only to find that there was a chip in one lens so I had to come back in an hour. Luckily I had a couple errands and a visit to Mom on my "to do" list so the time passed quickly, but I still waited 15 mins. to get those glasses. All in all, I spent nearly 3 hours there yesterday. I guess I shouldn't complain because I got an exam and 3 pairs of glasses (trifocals, no less) for just over $200. I'll admit that I never look at any frames other than the $9.99 ones but I figure I'm so darned cute and have such a good personality that my glasses are nearly invisible. (Humility is also one of my virtues, along with patience.)

April 7--India, Goa Stone and Case. Julia bent to look more closely at the warm gold radiance of the artifact. She had never seen metalwork like it. The intricate carving was breathtaking. The longer she looked at it the more shapes became clear. It was the winged monkeys perched atop the ribbon-like legs that made her catch her breath. She remembered the first time she saw The Wizard of Oz and the flying monkeys of the Wicked Witch of the West. She had been terrified and had slid back away from the television screen until she was tangled in the rungs of the straight chair where her grandpa sat. She watched the rest of the movie from there, kept safe by Grandpa's blue overalls-clad legs.

That is so not where I thought that was going but I'm glad it went there. I seem to be in a nostalgia phase. Must be because of being with family last weekend. I wish we could do that more often.
--Barbara

No comments: