Monday, December 29, 2008

Let's See...

...how many days in a row is this? I'm counting to 21 so I can take a night off. Well, probably not really, but some nights it's a real temptation to just leave the notebook and pencil alone and read my book before turning out the light. I want to rebuild the habit of writing every day, sometimes I feel too tired or uninspired but I can usually squeeze a few words out, they don't always make much sense, but I get them on paper and then I can sleep in peace. Here's the pittance from last night.

December 28--If I tell you the truth...
Truth telling is dangerous.

I hide behind lies
white lies, it's true,
but lies nevertheless.
I don't remember when
I started to live in the shadow
of lies
but that is where I live now.
I'm comfortable here
clothed in my suit
of lies,
snug in the thorns of their embrace.
Truth shines dangerous light
glaring into corners,
crumbling self-respect.
It sears my skin
and blisters my lips.
Truth hurts us all.
I'll stay here in my bed
of lies.

That's all a lie, but I like the way it worked out. I'm mostly a truth-teller because I'm not smart enough to lie. You?
--Barbara

No comments: