Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Bats

Well, the mid-winter blahs have lasted longer than I thought they would. Imagine my surprise when I opened my notebook last night to find a bit of prompt writing I neglected to post last week. Here it is, such as it is.

Silent flyers swoop out of the night to glide through the swarms of delectable bugs that congregate around the security light. Times have changed on the island. Where once you could have left the door unlocked and trusted that a light-sleeping dog would keep your house safe, now every door has a couple locks, more and more windows sport bars screwed right into the frame, and lights turn on at dusk drawing moths and other tasty treats for the island's bats. The security lights turn off at dawn just as the furry flyers are gliding back to their crowded comfy roost in the caves on the wild windward coast.

I have hopes that our evening of doing writing exercises on Thursday will spark a little motivation. Fingers crossed.

--Barbara

No comments: