Monday, February 11, 2008

Sunday at the Frog Pond


I was feeling very accomplished and smug and speedy yesterday. (That's always a bad thing.) I had pulled out the second mitt of the Forbidden Love Fingerless Mitt, v. 5, and started knitting (on row 6) while watching CBS Sunday Morning. There were two pages with the pattern on them in the bag (it's a one-pager); they looked the same; I chose one and started knitting. I continued knitting while talking with DD on the phone (for as long as we wanted) and throughout the day. 'Long about 5 PM I looked at the row counter (48) and looked at Mitt #1. Hmm, they looked about the same length and I was just getting to the "bind off 4 sts for the thumbhole" part on Mitt #2. That's when I tried on Mitt #1 and held up Mitt #2 next to it. Same length. Drat. Rechecked the pattern. Turns out the one I didn't choose has many fewer rows between decreases and before the thumbhole part. Dang it. I stuck a needle in the fabric where I needed to frog back to and started ripping out, cursing my carelessness. I got down to the place to pick up stitches and realized that I couldn't do it because of the extreme fuzziness of the yarn. That meant I had to frog the whole of Mitt #2 and begin again. Of course, I had woven in the beginning tail because it kept getting tangled in the working yarn. I couldn't find it to unpick it; I had to cut it off. That meant that Mitt #2 isn't starting at the same color point as Mitt #1. Not that it matters, but I was feeling pretty smug that they were going to pretty much match (see above).

This is what happens when you get cocky--you end up sinking one day's knitting (42 rounds!) in the frog pond. Beware!

1 comment:

Ann said...

Aw, I'm sorry to hear that, Mom! Looks like hubris claims another victim. :(