Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Only One Dress Left To Sew

 



After taking a friend to have wrist surgery this misty, drizzly morning and taking her back home before noon, I came home to sew.  Because I had batch sewed these two 100 Acts of Sewing Dress no. 2 they were both at the point of needing neck binding, sleeve hemming, hem, uh, hemming, and pocket attaching.  In that order.  Neither of these dresses is "winter weight" fabric, the striped linen (that's really red, not pink like it looks in the pix) is very loosely woven and the floral is cotton but they're roomy enough to wear a shirt under so they'll work for a while.  I have one more jumper-style dress cut out that needs sewing up and then I can cut and sew the flannel I bought a couple weeks ago.  But first I think it's time for my serger to have its million-stitch checkup.  One of the threads keeps breaking and then the loopers go haywire, it's a mess.  I can sew just fine without it, now I just have to find a place to take it.  Soon.  Tomorrow.


 




This chipmunk was having a high old time contorting itself around to gnaw the kernels off the cob that OJ suspended in this suet feeder last week.






I know this shot is blurry but it's so rare to have a chickadee sit still long enough to have its picture taken I just had to slap this on here.





While waiting for HH to have her surgery this morning I knitted on the Woodland Plain Old Sock.  Don't you love these colors?  Now I just have to knit around and around (and around) until I've lost the will to live (or I get about 8" of leg knitted) and then it'll be time to make the heel flap, turn the heel, and make the run (foot) to the toe.  Maybe I'll have this sock done before spring.  Of course I've been slowly assembling yarn(s), needle(s), and pattern(s) to join in MDK's Bunchalong to knit the Appleseed Mitts and the Slip-Stitch Cap from their new Merry Making Field Guide so the sock will probably go on hiatus once casting on commences.  But I promise to finish the Seaman's cowl before I cast on either mitts or cap.  Really.  Cross my heart.

I didn't write the prompt last night.  This cough is getting the best of me, especially at night.  Last night it woke me up in the middle of the night and I finally sprayed my throat with Cloraseptic numbing sore throat spray just to quiet the tickle and get back to sleep.  I lucked out and got an appointment with the doc on next Tuesday just to make sure that this antibiotic I'm taking does the job and doesn't interfere with my week at The Clearing.  I also made a car checkup appointment for Friday so I don't have car issues that week either.  Tomorrow I have an appointment with my financial advisor who is helping me get all of my financial ducks into nice, tidy rows so I don't have to worry about the future and whether I'll be able to afford to continue my moderate lifestyle.  Thank you, Durwood, for insisting that I go with you to the broker's office 20 years ago.  Over the years I went from not understanding anything to having a pretty good handle on what's what or at least I understand the concepts she talks about and ask intelligent questions.  And I don't cry on the way home out of sheer frustration that you made me go and "look stupid again" anymore.  Thanks, Dear.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

OK - red, not pink. That makes more sense in the world of Barbara X 2. I don't like pink either and I think you know that red is also my favorite color. Just ask my former kitchen in Wilmington. Can't wait for you to see our place down here when you come early (promise - early) next year. It is so not red!