Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Mums

We are having the oddest weather.  Yesterday it was barely 55 degrees, overcast and drizzly, and today it was sunny and 79 degrees.  There are storms in the area that will probably miss us and tomorrow's supposed to be back in the 50s.  Is it any wonder I have a cough?  I will say that I am getting better but am not 100% cured yet.



I went out to pick up some sticks from the lawn and check if I needed to mow today (nope) and saw that the last remaining mums are blooming.  I wish I could keep the bronze and burgundy ones alive but it seems like the purple ones are the only ones that want to live here.


This morning I went to see my financial advisor to get the ball rolling to get the last of Durwood's Proctor & Gamble (ex-Gillette) employee stock options account changed to an IRA in my name and in my control so that CL can help me manage my investments and stay comfortably afloat until I'm ready to shuffle off this mortal coil.  It's a very strange feeling to actually sorta understand where I stand and what I need to do to manage things in the money department.  That's never been my strong suit, but I'm learning.  CL will help me, she's very patient.



In the afternoon I finished knitting the Seaman's Church Institute Christmas at Sea cowl.  This is a very nice color blue.  Once that was done I came in here to get the October knitting guild newsletter started, got a few pages and pictures settled, found a short, free pattern to include, and promptly fell asleep for over an hour, maybe closer to two hours, because it was almost 7 o'clock when I gathered up my things, saved my work, and went to find something for supper.



The mailman brought me a package.  In the package was a new gadget for making pompoms.  I'm not sure how it works since it looks to me like the handle part of an old-style slingshot but the package directs you to a YouTube video so I'll check it out.  The cap I cast on needs a pompom.  I also fell prey to the little cardboard box of multicolored stitch markers.  What?  These are in colors that I didn't have and besides I wanted them.  Happy belated birthday from me to me.


After supper (as predicted) instead of knitting more on the Woodland Plain Old Sock, I cast on a Slip-Stitch Cap out of wool left over from that Montparnasse Cardi I knitted this summer.  I'm planning to use this medium gray that didn't make it in the sweater and the light gray that did for a monochrome look, then I want to use some gray wool and alpaca to make a pair of Appleseed Mitts to go with the hat.  I know it's not a perfect match but when has matching ever been important to me?


October 3--Robert Delaunay, Rhythm, Joie de Vivre.  The colors made Rae take a step back.  She was more accustomed to neutrals and this painting didn't know the meaning of the word.  Red, orange, and a screaming yellow punched you in the eyes when you looked at it.  She couldn't imagine what made Clark think that this was the painting they should have in their home.  This painting wasn't about calm serenity which was the feeling she wanted their home to evoke.  Perhaps Clark didn't evoke that feeling either.

It's getting stuffy in here.  I'm trying to decide if I should turn on the air conditioner or just wait until tomorrow when it'll cool off.  Yeah, I'll do that.  I can hear that the wind has picked up outside.  Maybe we'll get some rain after all.  Time to hit the hay.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

I love the way your describe the pictures posted every day. You have a gift -- and I think that one day, we'll all be reading your novel as well as your blog. Can't wait to see a pom pom made with that clever, slingshot-looking gadget.