Saturday, October 6, 2018

Inertia Has Me In Its Grasp

It seems that my get-up-and-go got up and went lately.  I slept until almost 9 o'clock this morning and felt like it was almost enough.  Which meant that I didn't eat breakfast until almost 11 o'clock (do not ask me why it takes me 2 hours to read the newspaper, I do not know) so my meals for the day were off kilter.  That's my excuse for grazing on anything nibble-ly I could find most of the day.

Once I managed to dress just before noon, I hauled up the first basket of winter clothes for the semi-annual wardrobe changeover.  Then I set myself down in front of the laptop to crank out the October knitting guild newsletter.  This week I emailed the people I needed input from and got almost all of the copy so that by 5 o'clock I had five pages of first draft.  I'm awaiting one more snippet of info about this month's program then I can do one more read-through and email it to the members tomorrow evening.  *dusts hands off*



Then I sat myself down on the couch, turned on mindless animal and vet shows on NatGeoWild and knitted.  See?  I think I'm about halfway up the hat.  I'll have to reread the pattern to see if the ribbing counts in the measurement of when to start the crown decreases tomorrow so I don't overshoot and make a too-tall hat.


Tomorrow if it isn't raining I need to take myself out into the garden and get all of the plants pulled down and composted.  It's time.  No more tomatoes are ripening and everything just looks sad.

October 6--Paul Gauguin, Harvest, Le Pouldu.  Great swaths of pale gold wheat lay in the field.  Farmhands worked up one row and down the next turning the sheaves so that the grain would dry before the threshing.  It was hot, mindless work.  The sun beat down on top of Clarence's head as he stepped, then swung his rake to turn the wheat, stepped again, shifted, and swung the rake again.  He'd done it so long that he didn't have to think he just moved.  That is until his rake's tines snagged on some fabric and a limp hand and arm flopped across the wheat.

Yikes.  Well, I thought that my cough was mostly gone until late this afternoon when a coughing jag hit and it took a while to abate.  More cough syrup, more Vicks, doc on Tuesday.  Can't wait.  I probably need to get outside and inhale fresh air instead of the stale stuff in the house.  Tomorrow.  Good night.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

In spite of sleeping in, you managed to get a lot done. That newsletter sounds like a chore to me but I know you love that group so not a problem for you. That knitted cap looks cute already and it isn't even finished. I hope you put a pom-pom on top.