Sunday, November 4, 2007

Lizard on a Tree Trunk

Not the best weekend for writing, the weather's been too darned nice to sit inside at a desk. I've blown leaves and just played outside in the gorgeous autumn sunshine while I could. According to the weather guessers winter's supposed to arrive tomorrow or Tuesday. Better get my warm coat out of storage. I did see the frost, Bob, and tried to ignore it. I wanted to ignore the fact that the birdbath was frozen too, but was afraid that the chickadees would break their beaks trying to peck through the ice so Don plugged in the birdbath heater. Winter's coming; I don't think it'll hold off much longer.

Palm fronds clattered overhead as I waited for Raul to come out of the house. I knew he was on the phone with his father who owned most of the island. A faint scratching behind me caught my breath in my throat and I whirled to see if someone was creeping up on me. I imagined one of the silent "minders" that were constantly seen in the shadows wherever we went. They weren't obtrusive, no, they were more noticeable by their very efforts at self-effacement. Their laser-like focus on Raul and the menace that emanated from them made everyone, even children, give them a wide berth. No one was behind me. What had I heard? My eyes caught slight movement on the trunk of the nearest palm. A green and rust lizard slid up it, looking for supper, an opponent, or a mate.

Eh. Not feeling very inspired today.

--Barbara

No comments: