Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Boat Ride

Thanks for your comment, Bob. I'm not aware the being scared when I write but when I reread it, yeah, I'm creeping myself out a lot with this picture/prompt writing. I'm trying not to read all these things much, not to start putting it together before I've worked my way through the year's pictures, letting the story kind of build itself. By writing late at night when not only my brain but all of me is tired, I think I'm getting the most free writing I've ever done. No more analysis! Keep writing!

The bright red of the boat bottom seemed hotter than the white hull. For one irrational minute I was reluctant to put my feet in the boat. The primitive part of my brain was sending the message "red equals hot" just like it did when I was little, but the lure of the chance to be out floating atop the blue-green water was too strong to resist. I double checked that there was plenty of water in the cooler and that everyone had a sun hat and that there was sunscreen to go around and then I stepped in and settled onto a plank seat far away from the oars or rudder. I picked a spot in the pointy end where I knew none of the rowing or steering was done. I planned to lounge gracefully, trailing my fingers in the cool water and enjoy the view.

No comments: