Friday, June 2, 2017

Go Sit In The Corner

Have you ever been so tired of yourself you'd really like to give yourself a timeout?  I'm there.  I'm soooo there.  It isn't even that things I should do are things I don't want to do.  They are things that most of the time I can't wait to do.  Things like sewing or knitting/crocheting.  Like seeing if I can't fix the soaker hose on the bales so the herbs get better water and don't droop or die.  Like going for a walk around the block so my thigh muscles stop aching from too much sitting on my behind.  Lately I've been zoning out surfing the web, playing spider solitaire while listening to audiobooks, or sitting at the table with Durwood staring vacantly at whatever TV show he's watching.  I've stopped planning meals, grabbing the easiest and quickest, and really slacking off on fresh veggies.  That is so not like me.  So this morning after I did my yoga I gave myself a talking to, right there in my Bullet Journal using my lovely Waterman fountain pen.  I refused to listen to any whining about being tired or bored or just don' wanna.  I was firm and direct and laid out some ground rules.


Then I went downstairs and inventoried the food in the freezer.  I didn't defrost it, I wasn't that cowed by the talking to I got, but I have a better idea of what's down there, meat-wise, and Durwood and I discussed giving frozen veggies a try since I managed to allow a bunch of fresh ones go bad.  But not the beets.  Beets are on the menu for tomorrow.  (tonight we have the other half of Tuesday's pizza so I can make a quick exit to go knitting)  Tomorrow there'll be chicken and pork (oldest chicken package and the pork lost its vacuum seal) on the grill so that during the week we can grab some meat ready to eat, match it up with some veggies, and have a nutritious and delicious supper before it gets dark.  Hmm, maybe I'll marinate the pork so we can have some awesome fried rice later in the week.  What a great idea.  One of the things I want to do when I retire (in four weeks) is to do some investment cooking for the freezer (using some of the meat we already have) so we can just grab something yummy and not have to think of what to eat every day.


The only yarn-y thing I have to share is this thumb top and mitten top that I started to crochet last night.

June 2--Vincent van Gogh, Almond Blossoms.  Jean lay on the damp ground under the winter-bare tree.  She concentrated on the designs the black branches traced on the blue sky.  The branches looked twisted and bent like arthritic fingers making her thing of her grandmother's hands.  Gram had hated that her hands betrayed her, hurt too much to let her sew or knit for long.  It was even hard for her to sign her name.  The bare, gnarled tree made Jean think of old age and death but then she noticed a pale green fuzziness on some branches and even a few fragile white blossoms opening in the sunshine.  The sight gave her hope, lifted her spirit, and drew a faint smile on her lips.

I met a friend for lunch at a place that is reported to have "the best" hamburgers.  My cheeseburger was good but I'm not sure I'd call it "the best."  I won't hesitate to go there for another burger but it didn't push Joe Rouer's out of number one on my hit parade.  It's a nice place, very popular, and reasonable.  It'll definitely get a repeat visit.  Plus I got to spend a couple hours chatting with a friend.  What's not to like?
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Well that was a very stern "talking to" I could read in your journal. And it seemed like it worked. Impressive lists and meal planning lists. I should start doing that myself. It's so much easier when you've plotted what's for dinner a week in advance. Maybe I need a talking to myself!