Thursday, November 26, 2015

A Turkey Sat On The Backyard Fence...

...and he sang this sad, sad tune,
Thanksgiving Day is coming,
Gobble, gobble, gobble, gobble,
And I know I'll be eaten soon!

Gobble, gobble, gobble, gobble, gobble, gobble, gobble,
I would like to run away,
Gobble, gobble, gobble, gobble, gobble, gobble, gobble,
I don't like Thanksgiving Day! 

There, I've done my duty to Mom and Grandma Babe and sung "the turkey song" to all of you.  I hope you have a happy and relatively uneventful Thanksgiving with well-behaved relatives and lots of pie.  (I found those mums in a store this week and couldn't resist the colors.  Aren't they gorgeous?)



My second contribution to the Thanksgiving feast is a pan of pumpkin bread pudding with toffee sauce to drizzle on top.  I was going to put a little rum in but then remembered that there will be small people at the feast so I substituted rum extract.  It smells the same and anyone who's ever suffered a cold knows that food aroma is half the taste.  I'm tempted to eat dessert first but will be polite, I promise.













I took the 1899 Indian Head penny I got in change from a store in Door County a couple months back to the coin shop the other day.  I was convinced that it'd be only worth face value but I still wanted a "keeper" for it so I don't lose or spend it.  You could have knocked me over with a feather when the guy said he'd give me fifty cents for it.  Amazing!  So I spent ninety cents on a snazzy plastic case for it, plus I found some pierced foreign coins I think will look good dangling from a felted purse so I spent way more than the worth of my coin--almost two bucks.

Last month I rashly said I'd help teach the beginners how to knit socks at Guild in January.  Happily another knitter said she'd help too so we're getting together next week to make a plan.  I dug out some yarn and those square DPNs I bought last year and have never tried and made a training sock.  It doesn't have a heel flap like a regular sock pattern does so I made another one cobbling together parts of two patterns.  I honestly can't tell them apart, except that I knitted one too many toe rows on the heel flap one so it's a bit pointy.  They'll make cute booties, though, once I make a mate for each one.  Or maybe Christmas tree or package decorations if I crochet on a little hanging loop.

November 26--Earl Kogler.  Chase wished this day would never end.  He and Papaw had gotten up real early to have bacon and eggs for breakfast, then they got their poles and tackle boxes and walked down to the creek to fish.  Papaw helped Chase tie on a lure.  "Let's catch us some pan fish," Papaw said.  "Mama will fry them up for us for supper."  "Okay," said Chase, even though he wasn't sure he wanted to eat a real fish.  He liked fish sticks and fillet o'fish sandwiches but he wasn't sure they were real fish.  He didn't want to disappoint Papaw so he smiled and nodded, and hoped he got skunked.

And now it's time to wander off toward our turkey dinner since the Packers are rude enough to have a home game tonight at 7:30.  Can you imagine the traffic in Green Bay today?  Not only is it Thanksgiving Day but it's the last weekend of gun deer season, there's all that Christmas shopping bursting out, and then the Packer game tonight.  Makes a person want to hunker down and hide.  But we're not going to miss being with family and friends, no we are not.  You have an enjoyable day and, if you're driving someplace, stay safe.
Love, Barbara

No comments: