Sunday, July 19, 2015

Crazy Busy

Once DD arrived around noon yesterday until I got back from "taking her to camp" this afternoon I don't think I sat down for more than 15 minutes in a row.  It's hard work to cram months of visiting into 36 hours and leave time for sleeping.  *pant, pant*  I didn't take one picture, I meant to but forgot in the whirlwind of activity.  I'll take one or twelve next weekend when she comes back through for 18 hours or so before driving back to Lexington.  She's going to need a vacation from her vacation.  I won't say it to her but if she lived closer to "home" the trip wouldn't be so long.  I suspect that buying a house in Kentucky is pretty much a guarantee they aren't moving closer to my house anytime soon.

This morning I noticed that one of the pink stargazer lilies is open.  It smells like heaven and even I, who doesn't really like pink, likes this pink flower.  Maybe I'm mellowing in my old age.  (and, man, do I feel old today)






I had to laugh at the woodpecker that got confused and landed on the finch feeder this morning.  It looked around like it was looking for someone to blame and then skulked over to the suet.  It looked to me like the goldfinch and sparrow were having a chat at the birdbath.  Maybe they were talking about the woodpecker.

 













On my way home from The Clearing today I pulled into a wayside a little south of Baileys Harbor.  I've often wanted to pull in and never have.  See, it's the 45th Parallel, halfway between the Equator and the North Pole (well, an intersection about half a mile south of it is but you can't put a Geographical Marker in the middle of an intersection) and the North Star, Polaris, is at a 45 degree angle from there.  I am such a dork, nerd, whatever, I just love it when I cross over to the top quarter of the planet, always have, always will.  I paid attention when we crossed the Continental Divide in Yellowstone too.  I admit it, I'm a map freak. 

You'll be proud of me, DD and I stopped at Spin (yarn shop) in Sturgeon Bay on our way up and I didn't bring home any yarn.  I had 4 skeins out of the 40% off sale basket on the counter but after consideration I put them back.  I bought DD a skein of yarn for her birthday but that doesn't count since it didn't come home with me.

July 19--Lior Rubin, (Red) Chattering Lory.  The air was so wet that water dripped from every leaf tip and twig.  She didn't think it was raining at that moment but Sheila couldn't really be sure.  The trees made a solid green roof overhead so even if it...

After that there are only scribbles.  I had a vague memory of putting my glasses and notebook on the nightstand and turning out the light.  The same might happen again tonight.  I'd go to bed right now if it wasn't still light out and wasn't just barely an hour since we ate.  See you in the morning.  *yawn*
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Yes, that woodpecker does look baffled! I love the shots you get of the birds in your yard. There's been a hummingbird hovering around the windowbox right outside the kitchen window on two different occasions lately but I never have my camera right at hand to capture it! Darn it!!! Missed those two deer who passed through last week and a black snake that slithered across the office doorway one morning. There's lots of nature all around me here but I'm too slow to record it. Glad DD made it all the way from KY.