Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Wintery

For a minute there a few days ago it was warmish and Friday's snow started to melt but yesterday the Polar Vortex returned and it got windy and I'm freezing.  It was so cold that I made hot chocolate when I got home from work.  It's not even officially winter yet and I'm already tired of it and our street is so icy that I have to go downhill to leave.  Yesterday I was going about 15 mph and drifted around the corner rather than turn.  Maybe I should give the Public Works Dept. a call.  We need some sand or salt.

Durwood's been having fun taking bird and squirrel pictures with his DSLR pawn shop camera and since I don't have any today, he's letting me use his.  Isn't that nice?

So, cranberries.  I'm kind of obsessed right now.  Maybe because we drove through the cranberry bogs on our way across WI in August.  DD and I discussed the possibilities and she surprised me by saying that she's come to like cranberry relish, you know, the kind where you grind raw cranberries and an orange, stir in lots of sugar and then gobble it up.  I'm thinking I'll alternate cooked and relish until I have to either get my stomach pumped, thaw out the bag of frozen ones, or eat so much I won't want to look another cranberry in the face for the rest of my life... although I did see a recipe for cranberry bread pudding.  That has possibilities, I think, then there's always cranberry bread, cranberry muffins, and isn't there cranberry juice in a Cosmo?  At least I won't have any bladder infections anytime soon.

December 2--William John Hennessy, An Old Song.  Louisa's fingers moved over the piano keys and the notes fell like ice onto the marble floor.  The stark sadness of the piece chilled her to her soul and she felt like weeping as she played, but her spine was straight and her lips never quivered even when tears trembled on her lashes.  Madame would never tolerate base emotion during a lesson and God help her if she displayed any more warmth than a marble state at her recital.

Can you believe it's December?  I'm just stunned and not prepared for that holiday that'll appear before we know it.  Lists, I need lists!
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

I can't believe it's December either. Too much to do and I have no energy to do any of it!! Nice pictures -- the squirrel among the apples and the dining woodpecker. Good shots!!!