Wednesday, December 24, 2014

I Am Officially Cowed

I got the cow down last night after supper--and my fingers are sooooo glad.  It's no picnic crocheting with cotton, let alone making all those oddball pieces and tiny tubes, but I got it all done and sat hunched over the making quite a bit of the day but I'm so happy with it I don't mind.


I had a couple last minute errands to do today (Office Depot had 32 gb jump drives for eighteen bucks) and I was surprised that I wasn't in the middle of a mob scene.  Now if I'd gone to Walmart or the Dollar Store I might have been but where I went civilization still reigned.  In fact I noticed when I was in Walmart yesterday that people were smiling and polite to the other shoppers (you'd think Santa was watching) for a minute I wasn't sure I was in the right place but there were all those blue signs and blue-pinny-wearing people so Walmart it was.

I got the wrapping done earlier.  We don't have so many presents this year but we'll (almost) all be together for the day and that's gift enough for me.  Durwood's got a pot of Ike's Potato Soup simmering in the kitchen and we're waiting for DD to arrive from Lexington before we fry up the Nueske's bacon for garnish.  I hope she comes soon.

December 24--Joos van Cleve, The Annunciation.  "You're going to have a baby," the angel said to her.  She stared at the sturdy man with a different air about him, a kind of electric fizz, and thought that she believed him even though there was no reason she should.  "Whose baby?"  "God's."  He said it like it was the most normal thing.  "How?"  She wasn't ignorant, she had seen dogs and cattle mating and had seen kittens born.  She also wasn't about to go behind the barn with some man with an itch who tried to convince her he was God's proxy.  What would Joe think?  They had barely gotten to the hand-holding stage, hadn't kissed, and now she was supposed to tell him that she was pregnant with God's baby?  That whould go over well.

I hope you are enjoying being with your family, too busy to be surfing the web, reading this blog, or Facebook-ing or Tweet-ing.  If you're doing any of those things, stop immediately, and go find someone you love (or can tolerate) to share a drink and a Merry Christmas with.  Thanks for reading my blog.  Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Joyous Kwanzaa, Good Solstice to all, and to all a good night.
--Barbara

No comments: