Sunday, November 2, 2014

Here I Am!

What can I say?  I got busy.  A girl just gets busy and distracted, plus she caught a cold so her brain's a bit mushy at the moment.  I learned a life lesson though.  You don't wipe someone's nose with a hankie, stuff it into your jeans pocket and then thoughtlessly use the same hankie to wipe your own nose later that evening.  Surefire cold virus transmission system.  *head, desk*
 
We only had a few trick-or-treaters.  Our porch light won't stay on unless it's dark outside so I tried standing in the open door with the inside light on but it didn't work very well.  I'll need to figure out something for next year.  But the moon looked very Halloween-y, don't you think?

Yesterday the Bay Lakes Knitting Guild had a Knit-Away Day at a boutique hotel in DePere a whopping 5 miles south of Green Bay.  Twenty-four of us crammed into a windowless meeting room for sweet rolls, coffee and water, knitting an Elf on the Shelf (good thing I brought all my extra US 5 & 6 DPNs because minds were changed at the last minute), interrupted by a potluck lunch of salads, breads, and desserts.  Everything was yummy, and my Farro Salad with chicken, carrots, green onions, and bell peppers was a hit.  AND it's a Weight Watchers recipe.  I promised to put the recipe in the newsletter.  In the afternoon we had what the organizer called a Chinese gift exchange, meaning that we all got a number, #1 chose a gift and unwrapped it.  Then #2 could either grab that one so #1 had to re-choose or choose a different gift.  People were pretty nice, there wasn't much grabbing but it was fun and interesting to see the small knitting doodads that people brought to exchange.  I ended up with an IOU for some yarn, not a bad thing.  I sewed up a small project bag out of some linen I had at home.  I forgot to take it's picture but it's one of those bento bags, like fabric origami.  I promised to make another one for a friend so I'll take that one's picture, cross my heart.



After the craziness of last weekend's carpeting extravaganza I reserved a room at Chateau DePere the little business/boutique hotel where we had the knitting day.  It's right on the river and right by the river walk so once the knitting had ended I draped my pawn shop camera around my neck and took a walk.  It was breezy and chilly but sunny, great to be out getting the stink blowed off, as Grandma A used to say.  There were fishermen and women sitting along the lock approach catching little walleyes, ducks paddling around, a flock of water birds perched on rocks in mid-river and one of the sluice gates open so the water was rushing and crashing through, all as the sun sank in the west.  Didn't help my cold but I sure enjoyed being out and walking a bit.  I need to do that more.  I'm staying again tonight and will go right to work tomorrow morning.  I thought about just going home since I kind of feel like crap but I can't get a refund and I can knit and doze the day away here just as easily as I could at home.  Plus there's a way better view out the window.

I didn't write a prompt last night, I was too tired so I just fell into bed after changing all the clocks I could.  You remembered to change yours too, right?  You're not showing up for 9 o'clock church at 8 o'clock are you?
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

OK. Glad you're back. Did D tell you I called your house?? The Mom/Aunt worrywart kicked in when you didn't post. But I'm giving you a pass because it was nice to talk with your hubby. He sounded wonderful and all set for football today -- as am I!