Thursday, November 20, 2014

At Least We're Not In Buffalo

That's been my mantra all week seeing the incredible lake-effect snow that Buffalo's gotten over the last few days.  I saw a Weather Channel reporter standing outside in the midst of it and she looked like she was being sandblasted.  Then there's the pictures of people trying to dig out.  Yes, it's cold here.  Yes, we've broken temperature records.  At least we're not in Buffalo.  Or Gile, Wisconsin which has gotten 6' of snow so far this year.  Yes, you read that right 6 FEET of snow SO FAR this year, actually I think it's so far this WEEK.  They interviewed a lady in Gile which is near the UP border by Ironwood, MI and she said, "I wanted the lake and I wanted snow.  The lake's a block away and look at this snow.  I'm happy."  She can have my share, although I'd like a lake.

Mr. & Mrs. Boss are away at a trade show this week so I thought I'd show you my view from here.  Not as scenic as my usual shots but this is what I'm looking at for the next few days.





I frogged the Peapod hat last night and turned it back into a yarn cake.  I found a pattern for the same amount and weight of yarn called Gnome Knot Hat so I got the needles and another color of yarn out because this one's a two-color hat.  I'm going to give it a try.  I haven't done much two-color knitting but it should be pretty simple on a toddler hat, right?  I read a tip about two-color knitting in the round that says to knit it inside out so that the "floats" which are the strands of yarn carried behind the color you're working aren't too tight.  I might give that a try.  Anyway, I have 2 shades of pink and I think I'm going with the one on the left, Blush, instead of the Carnation above.  I like that it's heathered so the color's a bit less solid.  Casting on will commence shortly.

The other night we had Chinese take-out for supper, sharing an order of Egg Fu Yung which was way more grease than my little tummy is used to but it tasted oh so good.  Naturally it came with fortune cookies.  Here's mine:  "The rubber bands are heading in the right direction."  I'm flummoxed.  I keep looking at it and I can't decide if I should be afraid or glad.  Right now I'm just confused.  Does it mean my car isn't going to break down anytime soon?  Maybe all my internal organs are in fine form.  I don't have braces with bands so it can't be that.  Any guesses?

I left my notebook at home so I can't put on last night's prompt writing but I don't remember it being particularly worth sharing.  Imagine something profound and moving here.

Time to pretend to work.  Uh, I mean, time to count something or straighten something.  Maybe I'll dust.  Stay warm. Toodle-oo.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Do you work way at the back of the store? That view is kinda sad! I think the pink and green hat sounds like a good idea. Stay warm!