Friday, April 18, 2014

Hand-Me-Ups & Downs

When I stopped at LC's house yesterday DIL1 gave me (back) this apron.  Aunt B had embroidered it for Mom in 1970, I handed it off to DIL1 when Mom passed (because she keeps chickens), and she handed it back to me saying, "it'll just live in a box here, you should have it" so I brought it home.  I'm thinking maybe I'll tack the pretty part on a stretcher and hang it on the kitchen/dinette wall to enjoy it so it doesn't spend its whole life in a box.


Then I was thinking I needed to buy an interesting mat or something fun for LC to have tummy time on when she's here, but inspiration struck on my drive home.  I asked Mom to crochet an afghan for DS in 1979, it's bright and colorful, and has tails and ears and pockets to play with, and (even better) I knew exactly where it was.  See?  I went downstairs this morning and laid my hands right on it.  Voila!  Just as cute as I remember and ready to be spit up on, drooled on, etc.

The darned juncos are still here!  It's April 18, well into Spring, and there they still are, pecking away at the fallen seed under the feeder.  Why don't they fly away north where they belong?  Is it going to stay cold forever?  I'm really getting tired of my winter coat.  A cardinal visited the platform feeder for a second too, a bright spot on a dreary day.

There was enough time between customers yesterday for me to finish crocheting all the parts for the booties I want to finish by Sunday, now all I have to do is sew all the parts together so I can put on the finishing touches.  I've got plenty of time.

April 18--Vivienne Westwood, "Propaganda" Dress.  

Yards and yards
and yards of Barbie pink
silk taffeta,
bell-skirted,
off the shoulder,
every little girly-girl's
dream of a dress,
swooped and gathered,
boned and crinolined,
a once-in-a-lifetime dress
for a once-in-a-lifetime
night.
~~~~~

It's prom season and all the little girls are playing dress up like crazy even if most of them dress up to look like tarts, not Barbie.  How sad, don't you think?  They seem not to be allowed to be little girls for long these days.  "These days," tsk, I sure sound old.  I'll be gathering up my cane and walker and getting on with my day.  Ha-cha-cha-cha.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

I was so happy to see that apron pop up on your blog. Nice that it's survived all these years.