Saturday, August 24, 2013

Dawn's Early Light

The sunrise was making the clouds in the western sky pale peach when I got up but by the time I went potty and put on a few clothes so I'd be decent-ish outside and powered up the camera the clouds weren't peach anymore.  *sigh*  Oh well, I liked the way it looked with the sun peeking through the tree so... that's what you get today.

I forgot to make a PB&J yesterday morning after all so all I had for lunch was a handful of carrot slices/chips and a few pretzel rods so after I got off work at 2 PM Durwood remarked that he still wanted to try Domino's "new" pizza.  I know it's not new new anymore but we don't order pizza very often so even though it's been quite a while since all their "NEW" recipe hoopla, it was still new to us AND there was a coupon for a $10.99 large pie with up to 10 toppings so we built one and I went to get it.  We got the extra thin crust and it was good, they were a little skimpy with the mushrooms but overall it was worth ordering again, much better than the old, greasy recipe with the blah sauce.

I finished reading J.K. Rowling's new mystery, The Cuckoo's Calling, yesterday before I left for knitting.  She wrote it under a pseudonym, Robert Galbraith, and it sold okay but then someone in her ex-lawyer's office (you notice the ex there, right?) leaked that RG was really JKR and they had to race to print more, but then they've sold a lot more too.  I especially liked the characters in the mystery, they're very well written and I was completely off-track on whodunit.  I borrowed her first non-Harry Potter book audiobook from the library last week and haven't had a chance to download it into my iPod yet, but I'll get to it, probably later today, and let you know how I like it, if I like it.  I borrowed CJ Box's latest novel thinking it was a Joe Pickett book but it isn't, it's a Cody Hoyt book and I made the mistake of reading some reviews on Amazon and now I'm a little reluctant to keep listening because it got an equal number of 5 star reviews and 1 star reviews.  The 1 star people say that it's very grisly and violent, and I'm not sure I want to read/hear that.  I already don't listen to the news much because I just don't want to hear about all the violence and mayhem in the real world, do I really want to put imaginary violence and mayhem into my ear?  Maybe not.  This is why borrowing books from the library is good, I haven't paid for the book so I don't feel like I've wasted my money, I've only wasted the hour it took to download the disks into iTunes and fong them into the iPod.

August 24--Edgar Degas, The Dance Class.  They looked like a roomful of dandelion puffs in their white tutus but they smelled like a herd of bison.  Eleanor was sure that none of them had cleaned their dance clothes for at least a month and they could all use a bath.  She had dreamed of dancing onstage since she was small, twirling and leaping in her Easter dress through the living room.  She began classes at Miss Jan's School of Dance in the garage behind Merten's Feed Store and then tried out for the Academy when she was thirteen.  The panel was scary.  The three women and two men, the head of the Academy and four of the teachers dancers all, sat expressionless while she danced her recital piece.  She was not chosen.  Three years on she sat in the back of the studio lacing up her ballet slippers, making sure the pink ribbons lay flat on her ankles, for one more audition before she was too old to dance.

Time to go snag some breakfast before Spanky comes to install our new sink and range hood, then I get to go to yoga, stopping first to get some tomatoes at the Farmer's Market.  My life is never calm, is it?  Enjoy your Saturday.
--Barbara

2 comments:

Aunt B said...

I'm number 50 (!!!) on the waiting list for The Cuckoo's Calling at the library. Glad to read that you liked it so it'll be worth the wait.

Aunt B said...

P.S. I just finished reading a real good book that I think you'd like -- "After Her" by Joyce Maynard. I've read nearly all her books and especially liked "Labor Day", "To Die For" and "A Place in the World." Check her out on Amazon -- she has an interesting backstory.