Monday, December 6, 2010

Monday, Monday, It's Payday

After my eventful weekend (Lights tour, 5k walk & knitting with Zoe at The Attic) I'm looking forward to having a quiet week. I'd like to find and flip the "off" switch mostly in my head and my feet so I quit zooming around and find contentment sitting and knitting or writing. I seem to have forgotten how to lay around doing nothing--and I used to be so good at it. Maybe there'll be work at work this week thought, that'd be really good. Last week for Wed. and Thurs. I had a grand total of 1 customer. Shouldn't people be out shopping? Isn't it present buying season? Even though we have no snow, I suspect Christmas will come in about, um, 19 days. Are you ready? I'm not. I can't even muster up the enthusiasm for it. Looks like a bah, humbug year--again.

December 5--Marovo, New Georgia Islands. From the hilltop you can see the depth changes in Marovo lagoon. Pete and Glad stood out of the jeep squinting out at the water. "I want to dive it all," she said. Pete smiled remembering how hard he'd had to talk to get her to even consider learning to dive. She had cried on the drive home after their first scuba class. "I don't think I can do it, Pete," she had cried in the dark car. "I feel like the words are just bouncing off my brain instead of sinking in and I can barely swim. I'll never do it." He had held her tight when they were in bed that night, telling her that he had faith in her, and she had kept going. That had been twenty years ago. Now they stood on a twenty acre island halfway around the globe getting ready to board a boat to dive out in the middle of the Pacific. The sun was hot and the tradewinds sent the palm fronds dancing. He grinned across the car at her. "Let's go get wet and cool off." He started up the jeep and pulled back onto the road.

I wish I was going diving today in a tropical place instead of bundling up to go sit in the chilly dive shop.
--Barbara

No comments: