Thursday, January 7, 2010

A Word to the Wise

Don't eat chicken soup for lunch that's a tad old, even if it has been in the freezer for part of that time. If it smells funny, toss it. If you don't, you'll wake up about 12 hours later with cramps and barfing and the shakes. I'm focusing on sipping on ginger ale today until I feel better. I do this to myself about once every other year and I do not recommend it. Eat fresh food! That's all I have to say about that.

January 7--Hanging Lobster Claw. All around the outdoor dining patio at the little restaurant in the tiny island village the Heliconias bloomed. The waxy blossoms were in many shapes--cups, crowns, and cascades--but the most striking was the Lobster Claw. It hung down from the dark green leaves, a vivid red and yellow complex flower with side petals, maybe they're bracts, alternating sides down to the one on the end that looks a lot like a claw. Cynthia reached out to touch it and it felt fake, plastic, but she knew it was real by the fallen leaves and petals on the cracked concrete below. "No smell," she said, shaking her head, wondering if she could ever get one to bloom in her North American house.

Stay well. I'm hoping to feel a lot better after work. Good thing it's snowing and crummy out; maybe no one will come in and I can be miserable in peace.
--Barbara

No comments: