Monday, March 4, 2019

Six Below

That was the temperature when I left to go to the chiropractor this morning--six degrees below zero.  Brr.  At least it was sunny.  Sunny makes up for a lot this time of year, at least in my estimation.  It's cold enough that not all of the birds come to the feeders in the morning but this male Downy Woodpecker is my most constant visitor.  I enjoy watching him work on the seeds and today I noticed how fluffed up he is.  Gotta stay warm.




Speaking of staying warm I put on my plaid flannel jumper and red fleece leggings this morning and had a severe case of static cling whenever I walked.  It wasn't until I got home from my errand that I remembered how we used to get around that in the olden days.  We wore a slip.  I just happened to have a black half-slip in my sock drawer, so I dug it out and put it on, and it hung 4" below my hem, so I hoisted it up under my bra, and it was perfect.  I may be lopping off a few inches so that it's more comfy.  No maybe about it, I'm definitely cutting it off tomorrow.  I might even re-hem it.



On my way home I stopped at Walmart for a box of Rice Krispies and some raisins so I could make a double batch of WW Granola.  I also stopped at Goodwill for a couple glass jars to keep it in.  (I feel like I'm on a glass jar jag, I like them better than ziplok bags; it's a good thing Goodwill is right up the street.)  I pawed through the dried fruit I have on hand and made one batch with the recommended craisins and raisins, the other batch I used up the dried apricots and a couple dried figs.  I cut those up into raisin-size pieces so they'd be evenly distributed.  The house smelled great the rest of the day.  Baking nuts and grains and honey.  Yum.



I spent the afternoon waiting for the sister of my renter to stop over to get her spare house keys.  I got a text this morning from my renter--from her honeymoon in Rome--that her sister had locked herself out of her house and would I please let her in to get the spare set?  Sure.  So after the granola was done I had to sit on the couch with my knitting watching episodes of The Great British Baking Show on Netflix.  Had to. Said sister arrived around 3:30, got her keys, and drove off.  I kept knitting and watching. I added quite a bit to the brioche cowl and feel like I'm starting to understand the technique.  I still don't think I could fix a mistake but I'll get there.

4 March--Tropical Obsession. 

Sharon stood in the shallows glaring at the horizon, the blood warm salt water caressing her skin. It was nearly sunset. She felt the last golden rays painting their heat on her skin and tugging reluctant tears from her eyes. The color of the water changed with each passing moment from the bright turquoise of full day to the color it was right then, a rich navy blue. The ever-present tradewinds had stopped and the water's surface was barely rippled like the best silk taffeta of her favorite cocktail dress. Cocktails. What a good idea. She was sure she had enough time to make another pitcher of planter's punch before Diego came back from his mysterious errand.

I am definitely going to the Y tomorrow to walk around and around and around--or maybe I'll walk on a treadmill, but I feel like a slug.  For some reason my enthusiasm for going has waned and I need to rekindle it.  I'll think of something.
--Barbara

2 comments:

Aunt B said...

You've taken up two of my favorite things - The British Baking Show and shopping at Goodwill. And like yours, my store is right around the corner. Stopped in yesterday for a bigger creamer for Paul's morning coffee. It's so great to find just want we're looking for -- and only 99 cents! Your glass containers look perfect. Love the puffed up woodpecker. Like you in your flannel jumper, he's all bundled up.

Nancy said...

Maybe try to commit to a 3 X week or M - F schedule for the Y. Then you know you've got days off & you'll be more inspired on work out days.

I'm amazed by that cowl; it looks very complicated.

Please try my old office remedy of rubbing lotion on your leggings (back in the day it was pantyhose) where you have the static cling. It used to work like a charm & is certainly easier than hemming your slip.

I'm off today - woo hoo!

Stay warm & safe. Talk w you Thursday.