Thursday, March 7, 2019

Dang, That Hurt

I had a session with my trainer at the Y this afternoon.  We did a lot of upper body work and I managed to pinch the edge of the nail of my left ring finger between the floor and a 15 lb. dumbbell.  Yeah, who was the dumbbell in that picture?  It was me.  It spent the next hour or so throbbing and I know I'm going to have a nice purple bruise on the side of my finger.  Good thing I don't use that finger for a lot of things.





A pair of Bluejays came over for lots of peanuts this morning.  I love hearing their raucous cry announcing their intentions and I love watching them contort themselves around working a peanut out of the wreath.



 

Despite the deep snow and cold temps it must be going to be spring eventually because a whole whack of Sparrows arrived to squabble over the feeder perches and peck around in the seed that one of them scoops out onto the ground.  It appears to be a team effort.




Speaking of a team effort, evidently yesterday's daytime bunny spread the word to its compatriots that there is plenty of birdseed on the ground for the taking because when I got home from the Y and getting a haircut (I might have stopped at JoAnn's Fabrics and a furniture store on the way home) these four bunnies were prospecting for fallen seeds.  Busy, busy, busy, and very focused.


All I bought at JoAnn's was a yard of swimsuit lining and a couple packages of 3/8" elastic which is the width I need to make a swimsuit.  I probably have some downstairs but it's been so long since I bought elastic that I don't want to risk doing all that work only to have the elastic give up the ghost the first time it gets wet.  The Ethan Allen store in town is going out of business and has 60% off everything in the store so I stopped to see if I could find a side chair for the living room.  The one I have is threadbare and shabby but I like it because it's fairly simple in design and doesn't have a skirt.  I found one but it's over $500 even with the huge discount.  I'm going to another store, maybe two, tomorrow to see what I can see before I spend that much on a chair.


At the same time the bunnies were here I noticed this squirrel hanging upside down from the cage feeder that has suet and fruit pellets in it.  This winter the squirrels have only resorted to eating the dried corn on the cob when all of the suet pellets and peanuts are gone.


Instead of knitting tonight I spent the evening counting out 2-WW-points snack bags.  I have a list of how much of a lot of snack-y type things counts 2 points so all I have to do is count and bag, and I even keep the bags to use again.  Waste not, want not.  I'm much better at snacking if I can grab a little bag of pretzels, nuts, crackers, or M&Ms that has a controlled amount in it than just plunging my hand into a big bag and grabbing some.  I'm not going to not snack, at least I can exercise some control.



7 March--Tropical Obsession. 

The sunset on Gotomeer painted the water a luminous shade of orange touched with purple gray shadows. Edward steered the rental car along the road that skirted the lake. "Why every time we go out we end up trapped on this damned one-way road, I do not know." His knuckles were white with frustration and his generous lips thinned as he spoke. "It amazes me that on an island this small you manage to get us lost." He cut a glance at his wife, Louise, beside him holding a guidebook and staring out the windshield at the wheeling gulls out over the wake of a passing fishing boat. She didn't look at her husband or offer an argument to his outrageous statement. "Of course," Edward said into the strained silence, "if you would quit giving me the wrong directions this wouldn't happen." Still not speaking, Louise rolled down her window letting in the hot, humid breeze generated by the car's movement, tossed the guidebook out, and rolled the window back up. Edward took his foot off the gas and stomped on the brake, forgetting to depress the clutch, causing the engine to stall. He turned to look at her. "Why the hell did you do that?" Louise turned her expressionless face to meet his reddening one and said, "Well, if I keep getting us lost the map must be faulty. It couldn't be your driving." She calmly faced forward again.

I have one more session with the trainer left so it's time to think about whether I want to get some more and meet every other week or just rely on getting myself out there.  I think I'll probably pop for some more sessions.  I work a lot harder with Megan than I do on my own.  *sigh*
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

I love Louise for tossing that guidebook out the window. Edward should be glad she didn't toss it into his face. Men and driving....grrrrr. You definitely have Wild Kingdom in your backyard what with the birds, the bunnies, the squirrels and even that cute frog shaped thing hanging out there. Spring must be on the way when a flock of sparrows appear. We used to get that with robins back in Wilmington and it was always a welcome sight. Your finger looks very "ouch-y" but I know it won't slow you down in the sewing and knitting department. Sorry to see that.