Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Look Out Below!

 

I looked out this morning and saw these icicles.  Don't they look like daggers hanging there just waiting to skewer some unsuspecting creature foolish enough to pause under them?  I hear on the weather report that it's supposed to warm up for the weekend.  There'll be rain south of us and snow north of us but we, the lucky ones, are supposed to have rain or snow or both.  Yippee.  Also ack.


I dragged myself to the Y this afternoon and, believe me, drag is the right word.  I did not want to go out and get colder; I was already cold inside the house.  Yesterday my chiropractor recommended that I walk in the pool when I complained about my ankle aching because she looked at it and it was pretty much where it was supposed to be.  So I packed up my shower shoes, towel, and swim suit and went out to spend half an hour walking up and down in the nice warm pool.  I'm glad I went, it felt great.  (This photo was taken after I got home and hung up my things to dry.  Taking a photo at the Y is frowned upon.)




On the way home the thoughts that have been milling around in the back of my mind came together.  I want a new swimsuit, see, and I have a whole tote full of swimsuit fabric but I don't think I want to make a crossover suit like the ones I used to make.  I like the 2-piece suits I made for diving (so I didn't have to totally disrobe to change after diving since there are seldom places to change at dive sites) but I also don't want my flabby belly to be on display at the Y.  I hauled up the sports bra and trunks patterns I used for the diving swimsuits and drew off an over-top using the bra pattern and extending the sides down to what I hope is hip level.  My plan is to sew the sports bra and over-top together at the neckline and armholes, put elastic in the midriff of the sports bra and then hem the over-top to the length I like.  Fingers crossed.  Now all I have to do is find the lining fabric downstairs, cut out the trunks front, then I'll be all set to start sewing, maybe this weekend.  Or not, I keep forgetting that I said I'd be in the booth the knitting guild will have at a local art fair this weekend.  Anyway, I'll keep you posted on the swimsuit news.

5 March--Tropical Obsession. 

"Necklace, Mister? Only fifteen guilders." Jack pushed away the dark brown hand that thrust the shell necklace at him. One look at his face and the middle-aged woman vendor withdrew her hand and took a step back. His eyes, icy blue and darting from side to side, kept everyone at bay. It was obvious he was searching for someone and everyone who saw him as he threaded a path through the dawdling cruise ship passengers in Queen Wilhelmina park across from the Town Pier was glad he wasn't looking for them. He smoked the harsh island cigarettes one after another. Just another reason to wreak revenge on Manning, Jack thought. Eight years not smoking and within a month on this God-forsaken outpost of an island, he was back over a pack a day. Damned Manning. And damn Nola for nagging him about it.

Today I hauled up an ancient tote filled with framed photos etc. from long ago.  I sorted out a few choice things to keep, tossed some in the trash, and have the tote and most of the frames all set to donate the next time I'm near Goodwill, St. Vincent de Paul, or the Salvation Army.    None of them are far away.  We'll see whose turn it is or where I am when I get tired of hearing them rattle in the back of my car.  Tomorrow afternoon I meet ACJ for a couple hours of writing.  I've got my things all ready to go.  Fingers crossed I can make some more words stick to the page.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Good thing you're the talented seamstress. Don't think you'd find a swimsuit in GB at this time of year. Your plan for the two-piece number sounds do-able. Well, if you're doing it, not me. Our weather is newsworthy today -- temp this morning 43 degrees! What's up with that? Cold front in Florida? At least it's sunny.