Saturday, June 9, 2018

Not A Bad Invention

Well, for the last day or so I have been puzzling over and figuring out a Weight Watchers recipe for chicken burritos and I made it for supper tonight.  It wasn't a huge hit with Durwood but that only leaves more for me because I loved it.  I only had to buy some more flour tortillas (which I always have on hand and was just low on), a couple Roma tomatoes, and some romaine lettuce; I had all the rest of the ingredients, even the can of fat-free refried beans that was the first layer spread on the tortilla.  I put enough of the chicken filling on that it was impossible to roll them up so we ate them flat with knife and fork.  I dripped a bit of green sriracha on mine and loved every bite.



My big accomplishment today was getting four items entered into the Brown County Fair.  I entered the Sudoku afghan, a pair of Victorian Hankie washcloths, the black mohair shrug with the antique button, and the play kitchen I sewed for LC and OJ.  I plan to see what, if anything else, I've made that's fair worthy.  Might as well, I've paid my $4 entry fee and that covers as many items as I want to enter.  Last year I entered nine items, oh, and you can only enter one item per category, no competing with yourself.  Hey, I should enter the felted purse I made last winter...



After supper I finished the Sail Away Dishcloth using my and LB's leftovers from the knitting guild's charity dishcloth extravaganza at last month's meeting.  All that's left to do is weave in the tails.

June 9--Claude Monet, Yellow Irises.  The spring garden was in full bloom.  The last of the daffodils were droopy and brown and the forsythia had shed its yellow flowers in the last rainstorm.  Along the garden fence and against the weathered gray of the garage wall the irises stood like a row of flags in the bright and warming sunshine.  Purple and yellow flowers alternated and competed for attention.  The poppies were beginning to shed their bud cases like cicadas shed their skins, making red-orange blasts of color that waved over their fuzzy, bright, lime green leaves.  Too bad Chester wasn't able to enjoy the show.  He lay in the garden between the rows, a hoe lodged in the back of his head.

Well, that's gruesome.  It's felt like rain all day and hasn't.  There were a few anemic drops that spit on me when I was out unplugging the fountain but that's it.  And it was very unsatisfying after my personal barometers (ex-broken ankle and dodgy right wrist) spent all day shouting, "Rain!  Rain!  Rain!"  *sigh*  I spent an hour this afternoon petting our granddog Porter.  It was very satisfying.  Who knew petting a dog would feel so good?  Not this ex-dog hater, that's for sure.  I'm tired, it's late, goodnight.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

"Irises stood like a row of flags" .... that sentence spoke to me this morning. We used to call Iris blossoms Flags. Don't know why. Just like mother always called green peppers mangoes. Some things you don't question when you're a kid. Know you'll score big time at the Fair again this year. If that Sudoku afghan doesn't win a blue ribbon, I'm going to be mad! Finishing up another great weekend here with Nancy, Lisabeth and Chris.