Thursday, December 21, 2017

Does This Look Like A Kangaroo To You?

 


There's one small person who visits us that insists that this is a kangaroo.  I don't think it looks like a kangaroo.  I even got down to his level but I still don't see it.  Although it's possible we ended up singing a few choruses of "Rudolf the Red-nosed Kangaroo."




Tonight is the knitting guild's annual Christmas meeting.  I wasn't highly motivated to cook up something fancy as my dish-to-pass so I dug out a recipe for a caramel mix that you make in the microwave.  I got smart and went to the grocery last night after supper and got all the ingredients for the dishes I want to make for guests over the next few days, including for the caramel mix.  I made it this morning and it stayed sticky.  I remembered seeing a different caramel corn recipe the other day so I decided to bake my microwave stuff for an hour like the recipe said.  Well.  Even at 250 degrees and with the racks higher in the oven that's waaaay too long.  The bottom tray, luckily the smaller amount that I intended to leave at home, was burning within 20 minutes.  *sigh*  Do you know how pungent burning sugar is?  I'm sure you do.  I've picked out the burned-est pieces and put the remains into a Tupperware and I'll take the unburned stuff to pass tonight.  Durwood's hoping there'll be some to bring home.  I can always make more, it's not that expensive to make.  No nuts.



We exchange dishcloths at the guild meeting and I'm taking the fishtail lace one I made a couple years ago.  Pink isn't my favorite color, hopefully it goes to someone who likes pink.



 
My Black & Blue Shrug is starting to look like a sweater.  If it wasn't holiday time with all the extra things going on I'd be farther along but I try to add a couple rows a day and I'll get it done long before the winter turns to spring.  BUT today is the Winter Solstice, the shortest day of the year so from today on there will be the tiniest time of more light every day.    Woohoo!  The Crazy Z Reds sock is starting to get a foot.  It's at the point where there's no pattern to be remembered, just knit around and around and around until it's long enough for adding the toe. 





December 21--Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, Reine de Joie.  They called her the Queen of Joy.  She was legendary in society at that time.  There were photographs and one poster by that short painter, Lautrec.  She wasn't beautiful, not even though his haze of absinthe could little Henri make her so.  She had a certain energy, a spark that you felt, whether man or woman, some tingling energy she brought into a room that neither paint nor film could capture.

It's another gray day. Of course it is, it's the shortest day of the year.  God forbid that the sun would shine on it.  And it looks like it's just starting to snow.  Yippee.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

No that does not look like a kangaroo but I like his imagination -- and determination. And I hope you did sing "Rudolph, the Red Nosed Kangaroo". Whoever gets that pink dishcloth is going to be so happy with it. It's too pretty to use just to wash dirty dishes.