Saturday, November 25, 2017

Where Did My Day Go???

I am gobsmacked at the time.  I mean, really, I feel like it should be about 8 o'clock and here it's almost midnight.  I know what the problem is.  See, I slept until 9 o'clock so the morning was half gone before my feet ever hit the floor.  Ugh.  I hate when that happens.  I made a couple phone calls and then took off for Joann Fabrics to spend my "% off your total purchase" coupon on some flannel and knits to make a dress and leggings with my new patterns.  I might have gone a bit nuts.  Not too nuts, but I did come home with quite a bit more fabric than I meant to.  In my defense I had a gift card left from my retirement party and spent that so only had to pay 2/3 of the total.  Wanna see what I got?  Okay.

In the flannels I had a very hard time choosing.  I put a lot of bolts in my cart and then hid behind the decorator fabric racks out of the way of the roving bands of fleece buyers and debated the merits of each one.  I ended up with this gray and black arrow geometric, a red and gray Aztec geometric, and this remnant of neon bows.  The geometrics are for dresses for me and the bows are for me to see if I can't make LC a jumper like I'm making for myself.  She likes dresses, I know she has pink leggings, and I'll put on pockets.  Who doesn't like pockets?


The knits with enough spandex to make leggings weren't on sale (of course they weren't) so I had some hard decisions to make.  The brown stuff, named "potting soil" (isn't that creative?), was full price but since I'd been looking for brown leggings I just bit the bullet and bought it.  Then when I checked out there was a "50% off one full price fabric cut" coupon.  Score!  The other two knits, the techno tribal and the black/gray and white one were off the "Red Tag" rack so they were already on sale.  I'm not sure how I'll like wearing print leggings with print dresses but the prices were right to give it a whirl.


Then there are the outliers.  I saw this red fish outdoor fabric and had to have it.  I confess I'll be making a Dress No. 1 out of it.  I know it's bright and a big print but, come on, look at it.  How could I resist?  The other piece drew me like a fly to honey.  I don't like blue but this gray/blue/orange combo knocked me out--and it's microsuede.  So soft.  It's barely over a yard so it'll make something for LC.



Having finished the Rebel Girl Hats I could finally give in to my desire to cast on another shrug in some yarn that's been marinating in the stash for years.  It's black mohair and some black and blue wool blend.  I'll hold them together and am hoping to make long sleeves and lengthen the body of the shrug.  I should have plenty of yarn and it's knitted on nice big needles.  I've make this shrug twice and really like it.  Only MW and I were at Friday Night Knitting so I got it cast on and a few rows knitted.  Now that the leaves are raked I can devote tomorrow (or, in reality, later today) to folding a basket of laundry and then sitting and knitting.


Speaking of leaves, my afternoon was consumed by leaf raking.  I called the lawn guy 3 weeks ago and twice since then and he still hadn't come to sweep up the leaves.  In his defense we have had rainy days which means he can't work and he said he had an equipment breakdown plus all his helpers went back to college but by this afternoon I had run out of patience.  I started raking on the patio and just kept going around the shed and by the time I'd raked into the side yard and gotten a tarp to start taking piles to the curb I had had it.  I came inside so frustrated I was almost crying so I texted the neighbor asking if I could borrow his leaf blower this weekend and he came right over and helped me finish up.  Good thing too because it started to rain as I got to knitting and raking wet leaves is no fun.  Now I can cancel the lawn guy and save the money.  Maybe I'll pay myself to make up for the sheer frustration of the afternoon.

It's so late and I'm suddenly so tired that I'm going to save my prompt writing for tomorrow's post and go to bed.  Goodnight, all.
--Barbara

No comments: