Tuesday, November 28, 2017

One Big Bird

And not the Sesame Street one either.  There I was sitting at the kitchen table finishing my lovely lunch when I noticed a big white blotch way up in the maple tree beside the parking lot in our backyard.  I squinted up at it (what? I'm old, I squint) and realized that it was a great big hawk (about 24" tall) preening its feathers and swiveling its head looking for its own lunch.  It was puffed up to stay warm so it looked BIG.  I got out the bird books and decided that it was a Red-tailed Hawk.  I was surprised to see chickadees and other small birds flitting around the feeders but then I read that Red-Tailed Hawks eat rodents, not birds, so the birds were safe.  However there were no chipmunks or bunnies around.  Come to think of it, it's been a while since I've seen a chipmunk.  Hmm.

Speaking of my lovely lunch, here it is.  A small flour tortilla spread with a tiny bit of Fat-free Mayo with 1 1/2 oz. of deli turkey topped with a handful (maybe 1/2 cup) of broccoli slaw dribbled with a teeny tiny bit of wasabi dressing, a handful of red grapes and 5 or 6 baby carrots for more crunch.  All for just 4 WW points which is a good thing because today is Tuesday and Tuesday is pizza day.  We get a large one from Papa Murphy's, eat half tonight and keep the rest for Friday night.  I know, living in the fast lane.  Anyway, we've gotten a pizza every Tuesday night for years, ever since they started the $10 Tuesday program.  Tonight when I went it to get our pie they wouldn't let me pay for it.  I was confused and not a little bit stunned but took my pizza and came home.  I guess it pays to eat pizza every Tuesday.  Or something.







Last night after supper I finished the first of OJ's mittens and cast on the next one, getting the cuff completed before deciding to add some rows to the Black & Blue Shrug.  I like the way the two yarns look held together but the black mohair is a bear to knit with.  It likes to cling to itself and the other yarn and sometimes the stitch before or after it.  It isn't very well behaved yarn but I like the fuzziness of it so I'll put up with a certain level of stubborn independence.








This morning I cleaned out the upstairs freezer.  See how organized it is?  I had a good idea about some things in there and others were like unearthing a mammoth from permafrost.  I tossed out all the ice in the box because keeping the freezer door open for half an hour would probably turn the cubes into a glacier.  I figured it was better to start over.  I spent a few minutes after finishing portioning out the carton of chocolate ice cream to keep from being overserved.  According to the package there are 12 servings in there, I got 9.  I think I need remedial measuring lessons.  I'm not redoing it.  Next week I'll defrost the downstairs freezer then I can get the nine 1/2# packages of Gulf shrimp into that freezer and free up space in the upstairs one for a batch of breakfast burritos for Durwood now that fresh-from-the-garden tomato season is over.

I stayed up too late knitting last night so I didn't write the prompt so this is all there is.  I hope you're not bereft.  I'll try to put myself to bed a bit earlier so my eyes stay open long enough to scribble something down.  Adios.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Ahhh - that well-organized freezer! Looks like The Pioneer Woman lives there. I've promised myself that this week I'm going to get more organized about what to grocery shop for by returning to my old habit of planning menus a week in advance. I'm constantly tearing recipes out of food magazines but then never actually preparing them. That should be my resolution for 2018. Why wait???