Sunday, November 5, 2017

I Really Dislike Daylight Savings Time

Coming or going, I just don't like it.  It wreaks havoc with my internal clock and makes it pitch dark when I wake up in the morning.  Bah.

The other day when I cleaned out that junky dresser drawer I found two things that I'd forgotten about.  One is Mom's diamond necklace that she wore every day and the other is the crown necklace I bought for her at the Tower of London when DD was studying abroad and I went over for a week to make sure she was eating right and wearing a jacket.  Both lucky finds I'm glad to have where I can wear them.

Not only was today Sunday and the end of Daylight Savings Time (yeah, I know we got an hour back today but Durwood tried to get out of bed on my side at 5 AM and I couldn't get back to sleep.  what?  do I seem crabby to you?) but the sky was a dark gray from thick clouds that didn't let a peek of sunshine through all day.  So I sat on the couch watching brainless TV and finished embroidering the words on LC's Rebel Girl Hat.  I think it turned out great, just the way I imagined it.  Now I have to do DIL1's hat and then mine.  I'm considering knitting a blue hat for OJ and putting the same words on it for him.  He can be a Rebel Boy, right?  I suppose then I'd have to make one for DS too.  Let me think on it.  I'll get the other two pink ones done first.








After finishing the hat I popped downstairs to cut out two more Dress. No. 1s from 100 Acts of Sewing.  I know I've made a bunch of them already and seem to be dressing better now that I'm retired than when I was working but they make me feel like I look good and that's a rare thing for me so I'm going for it.  This yellow fabric came from one of our dive friends' mom's stash.  I'm confident that I do not have the right shape to wear something so bright but I can't get it out of my mind so I'm making it.  The red paisley is what I bought yesterday.  There aren't any appointments on tomorrow's calendar.  Guess what I'm going to do.

November 5--Vicente Alban, The Indian Chief of Quito in Full Dress.  Nobody really thinks men will wear lace cropped pants, Julia thought as she flipped the pages in the fashion show's look book.  Quite a few women wouldn't be caught dead in them either.  They were so impractical--pants but lace, lace but pants.  She understood that the point was the juxtaposition but she was sure that none of the men she knew would wear them.  None of them.  The black velvet shirt and red satin-lined cape put the whole outfit right into the ridiculous category.

Look at that, I spelled "category" right the first time.  It's one of those words I have to look up nearly every time.  I planned to make squash soup today but just couldn't muster up the energy.  Maybe tomorrow...
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Great pictures today. So glad you found those necklaces and I hope you're wearing both of them right now. And the Rebel Girl hats are a thing to behold. That yellow fabric though. I don't know. Pretty bright. But if anyone can carry it off, it's you. You are, after all, a Rebel Girl!!!!