Thursday, November 9, 2017

Now You See the Heel Flap, Now You Don't

I sat down after supper last night to turn the sock's heel.  I did it twice, following the directions to the letter, but didn't like the way it looked.  So-o-o-o-o I ripped out the heel flap, caught all the little loose stitches on a very skinny needle and got them back in order on the regular needle, then I dug out the directions for the Strong heel (link is to the description of a class at a 2013 fiber festival, scroll down just past "Materials Needed" to find a link to download the pdf instructions) and knitted the first round of the two-round repeat before giving up and going to bed.




The other night I got a phone call from my knitting pal, MW.  He was sitting in the Michael's parking lot ready to go into the store to wander around so I decided to scoot over to wander with him.  I didn't really need anything but then yarn's not a "need" item, it's a "want" thing plus I had a couple coupons.  So we poked around, mostly in the yarn department and I found a bag of four balls of taupe cotton for $2.50.  Now, how could I leave that much yarn for that little money behind?  I picked up a crochet hook in a size I don't have too and got out of there for $3. 86.  Not bad.



This morning I thought the sky was a solid mass of clouds but then I realized that I could see blue here and there so I nipped out to see what the sunrise was doing.  This.  Very dramatic and wintry looking, don't you think?  The temperature's right there in the wintry category along with it.  Supposed to rocket up to 33 degrees today but only hit 29 tomorrow.  I guess it's time to drag my real winter coat upstairs. 


I got nominated in a Facebook meme asking you to post a black & white photo of your life every day for seven days and nominate someone every day.  I nominated my brother and a writing friend but don't think I'll do any more since I kind of resent getting roped into this sort of stuff myself but I'll post a photo.  All that's leading up to this photo of lichens growing on the back slats of my Emma's Chair on the patio.  This version isn't in B&W but almost, the silver gray wood and pale green lichens almost fade into each other, don't they?




November 9--Jean-Etienne Liotard, Portrait of Maria Adelaide of France dressed as a Turk.  "I can't just sit here," she said to him when he showed her the chaise in the good light.  He stood looking at her and thinking of how he could have her pose but still be occupied.  He went to the steamer trunk under the stairs and dug out a few robes and wraps, a feathered and beaded hat, and one red silk, gold embroidered cloak with what looked like ermine trim.  "Here," he said dumping int all in her lap, "put on these clothes and I'll give you a book to read."  She opened her mouth but not words came out.  In no time at all she was dressed in the robe and the red silk was draped around her.  He handed her a book, stepped behind a canvas on an easel, and said, "Read.  Don't talk."

I went early this morning to get my blood drawn for labs so that the results will be there when I go for my annual checkup in a couple hours.  My veins hide and roll away from needles so I ask the phlebotomist to take blood from the back of my hand.  It hurts a little more there but usually they don't have any trouble hitting paydirt.  Usually.  This time she tried a different spot and ended up prospecting around in there and still had to try another spot.  I showed her where they usually get lucky, she poked there, and it worked.  Maybe I should learn to do it myself...  Squash soup for lunch.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

No way could you pass up that yarn. Some bargains are there with your name on them and this definitely was one. Also like the picture -- even if it isn't exactly black and white. You're brave to offer up your hand for the blood draw. One time when I was having chemo, they wanted to use a vein in my hand and I couldn't bear to let her. Too painful. She did finally find a spot in my arm. But glad you got that behind you.