Saturday, September 30, 2017

Dagnabbit!

When I stepped outside to look at this morning's sky it was bright blue and there was a glowing white line of clouds right above the trees in the distance so I stood on tiptoe and held the camera high so it'd show up on the picture.  As you can see, it doesn't, dagnabbit.  It was a might chilly out there too.  I stalled until 8:30 before going out to do yoga on the patio and the temp had only risen to 48.  It was a bit nippy but I so enjoy doing my yoga outside I'm willing to be a little cold to be out in the fresh air and birdsong--although I did get a stern lecture from a chipmunk while out there.  Evidently I had invaded his space.  Sorry, dude, I moved as quickly as I could without hurting myself.


I got the homegrown homemade tomato sauce ladled out into 1 cup portions (5 cups exactly) and into the freezer so Durwood can use the vacuum sealer to keep it fresh.  It's much easier to store sealed bags of food popped out of these not-very-durable Glad keepers.  The Glad things aren't meant to be permanent storage so if they get dropped, they crack and shatter which isn't good for the contents.  Not good at all.  I'm very proud of my little batch of sauce.  Durwood offered to order a half-bushel more tomatoes so I can make a lot more.  I thanked him but declined.


An inexpensive, Walmart-purchased, all-plastic Cabbage Patch baby lives here and LC informed me that "Austin needs new diapers, Meemaw. This one's broken."  She's right, the one that came with him is made from some cheap fabric that isn't enduring the on and off of its Velcro closure.  Happily when I was paging through the 101 Little One Yard Wonders book/patterns I have, there was a doll layette with a pattern for a diaper and it might have one for the shirt too, although I can draw off a shirt pattern (no elastic to contend with) much more successfully than when I tried to trace the diaper for a pattern.  I thought I'd make two diapers, one from each pattern of fabric, lined with the white flannel for durability, and make a shirt to match each.  So, would that be a present for LC or for Austin, the doll?


Bluejays prefer the peanuts but when the squirrels had made off with all of the nuts one bluejay got resourceful and commandeered the squirrel's corn.  It flies in, does some acrobatics moves to get a kernel, drops down to eat it, flies up for another, then flies away, only to return for a repeat performance over and over.  I'm glad it's found the corn and I'm glad the squirrels seem to be leaving it alone.  Right behind the squirrel corn is the cornstalk with the two ears that are getting plump.  I suspect that it's too late for it to really mature but Durwood and I are enjoying watching it grow.


September 30--Emile Bernard, Breton Women with Parasols.  The sun was like a blade that cut through her right down to the bone.  Cecilia could feel the sun's rays pounding on her head and back.  Sweat rolled down her spine and soaked her clothing.  She didn't know when she had been so uncomfortable.  She heard her mother's voice in her head that morning reminding her to take her parasol.  She hadn't paid attention and now she was sorry.

Okay, well, that's pathetic but in my defense I don't think I've ever seen such a quartet of sourpusses in one painting.  Wherever those women were that day or how they felt was not happy, no sirree, not happy at all.  Just looking at them demoralized me and put me right to sleep.  Today I'm going to see if I can find some fabric to use to make LC's bag with all it's beads and bobs as promised.  Wish me luck.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Your nippy morning sounds like a perfect time to do yoga outdoors. Especially with all the wildlife in your back yard. Love the picture of the bluejay on the corn.