Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Still Every Other Day-ing

I thought about blogging yesterday, I really did, but it was supposed to rain so I went out and planted the Black-eyed Susans, then I dug up the daisies that were encroaching on the asparagus and got those scattered around.  Of course I didn't manage to get it all done and watered in before the skies opened up and the rains came down.  So I got wet.  I didn't melt.  I took a lunch break and then went out into the returned sunshine to finish the job and give everyone a nice big drink--before it started raining again.  While the second rain was raining they called from the garage to say that my car was done and did I want to chance it and walk over or should he come get me.  By the end of his question the sun had come back out so I said I'd chance it.  Durwood suggested that I take an umbrella.  Smart guy, that Durwood.  I didn't need it but it would have been a very long half-mile if the rain had come back.  As it was I had a jaunty stick to brandish at advancing squirrels and to shake, old lady style, at any whippersnappers in my way.  (side note:  I asked the mechanic to see if he could figure out why my cruise control wasn't working, he fixed it and said it wasn't working because the third brake light up in the back window was burned out and the wire was a little loose.  ????  so the cruise control's connected to the brake lights???  I miss simple cars.)


My afternoon and evening project was to design, cut out, and sew together an easier-to-change carrier for Durwood's O2 bottles.  The stiffened neoprene one that came with them is so snug that he can't get the tank out and I can only do it if I'm standing up holding it between my knees so I can use my full strength to slowly drag it out.  I have a lot of small pieces of upholstery fabric that I use to make bags, etc. so I dug out some in colors he likes, used the neoprene one as a pattern and got to work.  I picked up some ultra-firm iron on Pellon (stiffener) last weekend and it works great--except I can't sew the seam or attach the bottom because it's so stiff it won't fit through the throat of the machine.  So off I went to the shoe repair guy over by the stadium.  He threatened me with an $80 charge, even saying that the 5 minutes we were talking went on my bill, but once I was thoroughly demoralized and took off the handle pieces, he relented and said sewing the side and attaching the bottom would be about $20.  A-hole.  It'll be ready tomorrow and then I'll sew on the handle myself.  AND I'll be finding another shoe guy, tout suite.  P.S. I have another carrier cut out that won't be stiffened.  That one I can sew myself.


This morning's sky was gorgeous and the zinnias have come into their own. 





One of the butternut squash vines sneaked across the top of
the daisy stalks when I wasn't looking and is growing a tiny-so-far squash there to go with the two giant ones growing on the backside of the fence.  I also saw that one of the packet of sunflower seeds I planted has managed to grow to semi-maturity.  There's a flower bud on the top of the stalk that has thus far escaped the notice of any marauding rodents.  Fingers crossed.

September 6--Maximillian Luce, The Quai Saint-Michel and Notre-Dame, Paris.  This place was like a town within the city.  Vendors lined the sidewalks along the river, forcing people to step out into the street but the cars and taxis watched out for them on market days.  Only the tourists or people from other neighborhood honked their horns and shouted at them to "get out of the street, idiot."  Once she learned how the area worked Gail felt herself becoming a part of the daily life.  The old waiter in the corner cafe brought her coffee and toast without her needing to order.  The grocer saved fresh figs for her and sent his boy to leave a message with her landlady so she would stop.  At least once a week she went to a museum or gallery out in the larger city and felt like she had stepped into another world.

We've got chiro appointments this afternoon and then we're going to treat ourselves to supper at Olive Garden.  It's not swank but the food's pretty good and I'm in the mood for mussels.  So I'm wearing my new red tunic.  I hope I don't drip on myself but probably will.  Good thing there's Fels Naptha soap and Totally Toddler spray downstairs for those little oopses.  See ya.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

You are a hard-working girl. No wonder you don't have time to blog every day. Every other day works for me -- as long as you don't drop off completely!! Bracing for Irma down here and hoping it makes a BIG turn and goes out to sea. Don't want it here but don't want it over LD and Nancy on the east coast.