Tuesday, August 11, 2009

One Day Behind

Sorry about the delay. The TV died last night and I had to knit and listen to a book-on-cd so I didn't freak out. You know what that means, don't you? No Wii Fit this morning! I know, panics-ville. We're headed to Walmart soon to buy a new one so that the planets will be aligned again and global thermonuclear war will be averted. I don't think it'll do anything for global warming, though. Thank God for Walmart.

I spent an hour or so yesterday afternoon when it was slow at work going through all of 2009's art prompt posts, copying them, and putting them into a file. I found the pieces of what I remembered as a story start but turned out to be 4 posts. Whew. I had been certain I'd written the story and paged through notebooks trying to find it and sorted through computer files but never did. I'm glad I turned it up; now I can work on it. And there were other pieces of the Emmaline in London story to put with the beginning, that's good too. It makes me feel like I've actually accomplished something this year, writing-wise.

August 10--Diego Rivera, The Flower Seller. Jacinta carried her burden of lilies to the market in the wee hours of the morning, traveling down the dirt path from her village where her family grew the lilies. She was headed to the market that was held every Tuesday in the big town of Chico. Jacinta's lilies were famous for their perfection, the waxy white petals pierced by the golden stamen, an ancient symbol of the union of men and women. Brides carried her lilies in their trembling hands as they stood next to their groom in front of the padre. She wondered if she would ever be a bride or if it would be her curse to simply carry the promise of marital happiness for other girls.

More later. After the TV buying excursion that will save the world.
--Barbara

No comments: