Monday, August 17, 2009

Muggy

Jennifer, I like the insight in your piece. It makes me as a reader feel intuitive. Keep going! I'm rooting for you. I didn't mean to imply lack of confidence in your abilities when I suggested that you not hand in a submission this coming Thursday but wait a week. I was offering you an extra week since you are working so hard to carve out writing time for yourself. Sorry that I was a bit prickly last week. I'm frustrated with myself.

The weather liars said it's going to be less humid tomorrow and for the rest of the week. We'll see.

August 17--Canadian Kwakiutl People, Revelation Mask. Tally stared into the dark under the table in Nana's attic and was unsurprised to see eyes staring back. Nana had asked Mom to come and help her empty out the attic, so Tally had to come too. Roger and Eleanor got to stay home; they had sports team practices and Roger had his paper route. Mom said Tally was too young to be left alone when they were at practice. Tally argued that no one babysat her when she was out with her bottles and her net collecting specimens at the pond or the shore. She might only be eleven years old but she had work to do too. But Mom was adamant, so here she was sitting in the dusty heat of Nana's attic having a staring contest with some ancient Native American mask.

I like Tally, and if I hadn't gotten interrupted by one of those pesky customers my thought train might not have derailed.
--Barbara

No comments: