Wednesday, August 26, 2009

No Excuse

I just wasn't in the mood last night to write so I didn't.

I cleaned out the fridge yesterday. Naturally I chose a humid day to do it so that all the things I took out of it so that I could wipe down the inner walls sweated like crazy, but I hurried as much as I could and nothing spoiled, and I didn't find too much stuff that was furry and unrecognizable either. Now it's all bright and white inside.

We drove to Shawano to test drive a king-sized bed we're getting from DIL's grandma's condo. Now all we have to do is get it home, which might be, as Grandpa Gerst used to say, a trick with a hole in it. A king-sized mattress won't fit into the van even if I take out the seats, and I don't think it'd fit in a capped pickup truck back. I might just have to rent a U-Haul and get it over with. As soon as I'm done posting I'll call my most muscular friend and see when he's free and if he's willing to help.

I had a hard time figuring out what to write about yesterday's art for the day. I even Googled the name to see if I could get some hints but it's not even on Wikipedia. I thought everything was on there. Ah well, here's what came eventually...

August 25--Standing Figure of Avaloki. She hated her name. What had possessed her parents to name her after that embarassing statue in Great-aunt Irene's library? When she was little, and didn't know any better, she had liked having the same name as the golden shiny "pretty lady" but now that she was thirteen and knew what was what, Ava hated the sly look on the statue's face and her nakedness. Ava could just tell by her smirk, the tilt of her hips, and her posed fingers that the woman in that statue was up to no good. Ava was convinced that the only reason she was named Avaloki was to suck up to a rich old lady who didn't have any children of her own. Great-aunt Irene was all right, and Ava could tell that she knew her parents were major suckups because the old lady wore a smile a lot like the statue's whenever Ava's mom hovered around her with shawls and tea. That old lady was no fool.

I think I like this. I can see Ava and Irene forging a bond between a pair of smart, savvy women, one young and one old. I'll star this one for later.
--Barbara

No comments: