Monday, August 31, 2009

Crazy Busy

Man, did the weekend fly by! I worked on Saturday, mostly on Mom's birthday tea cozy but I had a few customers too, and yesterday after I took Mom to lunch for her birthday, I borrowed a friend with big muscles and a trailer to go to Shawano and pick up a king-sized bed for us, and then move the beds around and one into storage. I think the only time I sat down was on the ride to and from. But the bed sleeps well and we both finally have enough room to sleep. All those years of sleeping in the middle while Durwood was out of town made 2-to-a-bed a real adventure!

August 29 & 30--Paul Gauguin, Still Life with Oranges. I love the smell that floods the air when I peel an orange. That sharp, sweet smell that reminds me of summer and winter at the same time. Summer because of the freshness, the warm tanginess of the smell that clings to my fingers and makes me not want to wash my hands afterwards even though they're sticky. Oranges remind me of winter because there has always been an orange in the toe of my Christmas stocking as far back as I can remember. That mid-winter orange always represented the promise of summer to come and kept me warm when the snow fell and the wind blew.

Enjoy your week.
--Barbara

No comments: