Sunday, July 5, 2009

New Leaf, Days 4 & 5

I didn't forget, didn't slough off, I just haven't posted. Yesterday I got up early (on a holiday, no less) to Wii before breakfast. Then spent the rest of the day reading in the shade and dozing on the couch. We live on the edge here, can't you tell? Today I did the Wii Body Test, then instead of exercising I cleaned the house, which I then logged on my Wii chart so I get credit for the day. Same sweat, different activity.

Durwood and I played with sprinklers in the backyard and got ourselves nicely wet. An excellent activity for a warm summer Sunday.

Jennifer, I'm glad you're a bit better. You must have a bit of ESP; Jenny twirled the Story Spinner on Thursday and stopped on the Alphabet one where we had to begin each line with a word starting with the next letter. Mine hung together for a while but decayed into the ridiculous when the last third of the alphabet came around. I liked your poem post so much I decided to copy you and do this weekend's art prompt writing as a poem, so here we go...

July 4 & 5--Jasper Johns, Three Flags.

Independence Day

Layers of patriotism
sacrifice for country
young men pledge
die under the stars

Mothers cry
holding a triangle
of flag
in their somber arms

Old men march
in VFW ranks
parade their youthful courage
under summer's sun

We parade and picnic,
march, sing, pledge,
salute the night with
rockets red glare,
thankful for freedom
under the Stars and Stripes.

Happy 4th, everybody. We're a nation of drifters, dreamers, and malcontents. Long may we wave.
--Barbara

No comments: