Monday, July 6, 2009

New Leaf, Day #6

Ah, a new week begins and I'm still on track. Did Wii Yoga this morning for 18 minutes before reading the paper, doing the crossword, and having breakfast. Now I'm dressed and need to make my lunch after posting. How are you doing? Have you made any mid-year resolutions? Do you ever?

July 6--Paul Gauguin, Nafea Faaipoipo (When Are You Getting Married?) I see these young women that he painted over a hundred years ago and can't help but think that he made them uncomfortable. See how the one still in native dress curls in on herself? She looks like she's ready to roll onto her knees, leap up and run. The other girl is buttoned up in her proper English dress, tightly keeping her self to herself. The solemn stillness of her face and her slitted eyes say "stay away." See the tiny figures in the background keeping an eye on things? Chaperons, I'd bet on it. the more I see Gauguin's work, the more I love his colors, and the more I think he had an inappropriate fascination with young women, very young women. Is that why he went to Tahiti? To escape social condemnation? I should look that up.

Well, we're feeling rather self-satisfied and above reproach today, aren't we? We'll get over that.
--Barbara

No comments: