Friday, July 3, 2009

New Leaf, Day 3

Still at it, still glad about it, but then it's only Day 3. Just wait until another week has gone by. I'll be sitting here, or more likely, lying in bed fumbling for the 6:30 alarm thinking, whose stupid idea was this anyway? Today, because it's a day off, I did both Basic and Advanced Step and Rhythmic Boxing on Wii Fit. I like them all and doing them really makes me sweat. I'm very good at sweating. You might even say I'm a champion sweat-er.

I interrupted my prompt writing to go to the grocery with Durwood where we got goodies for our 4th of July supper. He got turkey brats the other day, so we got some cabbage slaw because I lovelovelove coleslaw and some zucchini for grilling with Vidalia onion slices. I'm thawing some mixed fruit for a fruity treat. It's a blend of peaches, mangoes, pineapple, and strawberries. I've been thinking I'd whirr some in the food processor to make a whole fruit sorbet/slush sort of thing. Sounds good, huh? After lunch I finished my writing so here it is!

July 3--Paul Cezanne, Still Life with a Chest of Drawers. Amy was glad it was summer. So many fresh fruits and vegetables were ripe in the garden and orchard that sloped down to the lazy river at the bottom of the yard that she barely bought any of their food. Willem at the old mill upstream was happy to trade bags of his flour for a supply of loaves of fresh bread. Amy loved baking bread. She'd get up in the cool dawn to proof the yeast, stirring honey from the hives in the orchard in for sweetness and chopping up a tiny onion to give the bread a bit of a surprise. Other times she would knead in a bit of oatmeal for a chewy texture that held its own when spread with her homemade peach jam. Speaking of peaches, where was Paul? He had gone out an hour ago to pick her some peaches to make a pie. She looked out the back door toward the orchard and saw a flicker of movement in Paul's studio. She started toward him, thinking he had better gotten her peaches before getting distracted.

Jennifer, I hope you're feeling better soon. We missed you last night. Jenny and I didn't have much better luck with Bananagrams words, but we kept at it and finally got a bit of writing accomplished.

I'm off to the library for more books on tape.
--Barbara

No comments: