Saturday, March 14, 2009

Welcome to the Dark Side

I'm glad you're okay, Jennifer, but sorry about no Aleve. I love the stuff too although it makes my ears buzz and probably raises my blood pressure. Jenny won't be joining us next Thursday because she'll be prepping for a colonoscopy (Spellcheck doesn't like the word colonoscopy; it suggests either "cloudscape" or "kaleidoscope" Interesting.) on Friday. I won't go into detail. I won't be at Writer's on the 26th (I'll be in Madison being nervous about meeting agents) so you can hold onto my manuscript critique until the following week.

I like how you captured that ingrained Catholic guilt and the rebellion us lapsed Catholics can muster up. Nice job.

Thanks for the compliment about Vera and Ed. I'm loving them. In fact, here's more!

March 13--Tibetan School, Scenes from the Life of Buddha. Vera stood barefoot and wearing a loose top and pants on the aft deck of the houseboat in a patch of shade. She was frowning with the effort to remember the Tai Chi routine from the tape she had picked up at a dock sale upriver a week or so ago. She was angry at her joints and muscles for being so stiff and creaky lately. She liked to take walks but there usually wasn't a path along the river for her to walk on and there wasn't one square foot of space on the boat to put a treadmill. Not even one of those fold up ones. So she had been glad to find the Tai Chi tape... well, not tape, one of those disk things, a DVD, that's what it was... at the yard and dock sale a little community of houseboaters upriver a few miles had been holding when she and Ed had tied up for a couple nights. Even the manual was there so she felt it was well worth the two dollars it cost. She nearly had the routine memorized but she kept getting stuck with her right foot up in the air and her hands changing positions. She'd forget which way to turn, lose her balance, tip over and swear. She was pretty sure swearing wasn't good for her chi but she was determined to get it right. Vera sipped her water and leaned in to press the "start" button on the player. One more time, she thought, and took a deep cleansing breath to release her frustration.

As we can all see, I'm a day behind. I plan to catch up tomorrow. She says with confidence.
--Barbara

No comments: