Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Nobody Tells Me Nothing

I didn't know Bob was moving either, except that he posted it yesterday. He never said anything at our meetings. He keeps things close to the vest, our Bob.

And, Bob, I hesitate to guess where your cell phone was. In your pocket? In your car? Up your nose? I'm just glad you found it. Maybe I'll make you a nice knitted holder you can hook to your belt loop so you don't lose it. Kind of a mitten-string of the new millennium. In manly colors, of course.

I emailed in the first 10 pages of Horizon today so there'll be a critique for me when I get to the conference in Madison. Ooh, I should have saved this for writerly activities. Oh well. Now I have to write my pitch and log line, whatever that is. I'm sure I saw a FAQ about it. I'll look it up.

March 3--Jacques Louis David, Napoleon Crossing the Alps on 20 May 1800. The Little General sat on his battle horse, his favorite, Bucephalus, the white charger with the black strip in his mane. The wind blew up the pass making his red wool cape sail around him like a banner leading the men onward, giving them courage. An unimpressive man at first glance, Napoleon, when on horseback, was the equal of any monarch in grandeur and dignity. He pulled the collar of his navy blue coat up to protect his neck and stretched his right hand up and out to show the way, but also to grasp the chance as he made his way uphill to greatness. the Little General felt the power of his horse radiate up his back to vibrate through his very core. His sensuous mouth curved in satisfaction to see the admiration and loyalty in the men's eyes. His victory was so near he could almost taste it. "Mr. Burton," the nurse called, "it's time to come in for lunch." Nathan stopped striding up and down on the gray cement walk and turned toward the door. Today was tapioca day and he didn't want to miss it. His black and white cane made him feel more secure on his feet as he made his way inside.

Oh, I like this. It turned out just the way I imagined it. See you on Thursday. Bob's coming too so we can give him our critiques.
--Barbara

No comments: