Thursday, March 26, 2009

In Mad-town

I survived the drive down but the stupid "service engine soon" light came on and I didn't notice until I got into the crazy Madison traffic. I missed the first turn on my Mapquest directions but managed to find the hotel despite my inadequacies. I got the van checked (some oxygen sensor crapped) and scheduled the free shuttle to take me to the Pyle Center at the crack of dawn for breakfast with Marshall Cook, the founder of the Writer's Institute, which is where I am at, and nerve up for my first pitch appointment at 9:28 AM. Oh, and I got an email (well, everyone got one) that the agent that I thought I had the best chance of convincing to represent my novel had to cancel. She gave some lame excuse that her baby is ill but we both know that she did it just to thwart me. Not really, she asked that everyone who had an appointment email their first chapter with a letter and synopsis so maybe it'll be better. Anyway, I'm about to hit the hay but I wanted to give a report and post my writing for today. Don't want to slough off and maybe jinx my chances.

March 26--Andrea del Verrocchio, Woman Looking Down. She looks like an angel way up there looking down on the congregation during Mass. So pure and peaceful, but when you really study her you see that her pious demeanor is a sham. Look at her lips pursed inviting a kiss, and her eyes downcast as if in shyness but anyone can see the lascivious gleam there. Her hair appears to be styled but any fool can see that it is tangled and disarranged by wandering hands. See how the braids entwine like the splayed limbs of sated lovers? And she is undressed, there is no collar modestly hugging that silken throat. I can no longer bear it. I stand and protest. "Who is responsible for putting that harlot's picture in the church?" My wife tugs at my sleeve and hisses, "Sit down, George, you're making a scene." I see her cheeks are flushed and she grips my wrist hard. She's pretty. I wonder when they'll serve more wine. My tiny glass is empty.

Well, that was a surprise. Nighty night.
--Barbara

No comments: